A ceremony was held at the corner of Pike and Perry Streets on the Lawrenceville Square on Saturday to honor the life of Charles Hale, a Black man who was killed when he was lynched at the corner in April 1911. Soil from the corner was collected in a jar so it can join a nationwide collection of soils taken from the sites of confirmed lynchings.
I'm a Crawford Long baby who grew up in Marietta and eventually wandered to the University of Southern Mississippi for college. Earned a BA in journalism (double minor in political science and history). Previously worked in Florida and Clayton County.
- Facing the recent rise in Covid-19 cases is like being told you have to walk back into war, nurse says
- Michigan's Lake Huron sinkhole is a window into how Earth's earliest forms of life diversified
- How has the pandemic affected America's youth? Share your stories
- India to deploy naval task force into South China Sea and beyond
- Long Island county legislature votes to allow first responders to sue protesters and sets civil fines of up to $50,000
- Gwinnett police say woman found dead at Yellow River Park was teen from Lithonia
- Gwinnett school board officially hires Calvin Watts to be GCPS' new superintendent
- Eleven Gwinnett schools have new principals this fall
- Central Gwinnett's School of the Arts preparing to open its doors to arts students
- Gwinnett County schools to again require face masks in school facilities, on buses
- Gwinnett Chamber fetes J. Alvin Wilbanks ahead of his last day as superintendent of Gwinnett County Public Schools
- Gwinnett police investigating fatal shootout at Grayson Highway shopping center
- Duluth police arrest trio for theft of catalytic converters from a car at an apartment complex
- Gwinnett County students head back to school as COVID looms over third consecutive academic year
- Track renovations moving quickly at Atlanta Motor Speedway
- ON THE MARKET: With more than 3 acres, this Suwanee area home is a 'wooded oasis'
- MUGS: 10 felony bookings in Gwinnett County Jail
- Weekly Gwinnett County restaurant health inspections for Aug. 1, 2021
- PHOTOS: Gwinnett Animal Shelter Adoptable Pets of the Week — Aug. 2
- IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Top Gwinnett County stories from July 26 to Aug. 1
- GET OUT THERE: 5 things to do this weekend in Gwinnett County — July 30 to Aug. 1
- Common home renovation projects with the lowest return on investment
- PHOTOS: Gwinnett Chamber hosts tribute to GCPS Superintendent J. Alvin Wilbanks
- Meet my TOYBOY! 10 famous women in a relationship with a younger man
- PHOTOS: Parents, community members protest against Gwinnett schools mask mandate
Find a local business
This is not a scientific poll — results reflect only the opinions of those voting.