- Feb 6, 2018 Updated 16 hrs ago
Gwinnett Stripers general manager North Johnson speaks as Lucas Sims shows off the new uniform. (Staff Photo: Jason Braverman)
Gwinnett County’s professional baseball team has a new name, as well as some fresh promotions, for the upcoming season.
The Gwinnett Stripers announced their promotional schedule Tuesday for the 2018 season, the Atlanta Braves’ Triple-A affiliate’s first since converting from the Gwinnett Braves moniker in the offseason.
The team plans 12 post-game fireworks displays, four bobblehead giveaways and numerous other promotions and theme nights. Fireworks will follow games on April 12 (Opening Night), April 27, May 12 (Star Wars Night), May 28 (Memorial Day), June 9 (Superhero Night), June 22, July 4 (Independence Day), July 6, July 20, Aug. 3, Aug. 17 and Sept. 1.
The Stripers will give away four unique bobbleheads to the first 2,500 fans attending games on April 14, May 12, June 9 and July 21. Those giveaways include:
• Stripers “Fishtail” Bobble (April 14) — A twist on the conventional bobblehead, this bass modeled after the Stripers primary logo features a bobbling tail.
• Ozzie Albies “Star Wars” Bobblehead (May 12) — 2017 International League All-Star Ozzie Albies’ bobblehead is the highlight of Star Wars Night.
• Ronald Acuña “Superhero” Bobblehead (June 9) — 2017 Baseball America Minor League Player of the Year and Atlanta Braves’ No. 1 prospect Ronald Acuña becomes truly incredible for Superhero Night.
• Mike Foltynewicz Bobblehead (July 21) — Atlanta Braves’ starter Mike Foltynewicz, a member of the Gwinnett pitching staff in 2015 and 2016, is immortalized in bobblehead form.
The Stripers also announced a new fishing-centric set of weekly promotions:
• Military Monday — Active or retired military members will receive two infield box seats for the price of one when they present their military ID card at the ticket office.
• Reel Deal Tuesday — All dugout seats are two for the price of one each Tuesday.
• Worm Wednesday – All fans who present a valid state-issued fishing license at the ticket office will receive two field box seats for the price of one (excluding July 4). Stripers’ players will wear the popular “Worm” alternate hat, and fans who purchase apparel featuring the “Worm” logo from the Team Store will be entered for a chance to win a prize pack.
• Thursday Hook, Line & Sinker Special – Get four infield box tickets, four hot dogs and four soft drinks for just $44 each Thursday, courtesy of Coolray Heating and Cooling.
• Stripers Sunday – Fans are invited to play catch on the field before the 1:05 p.m. game and kids (ages 12 and under) are welcome to run the bases following the game.
The full promotional schedule, subject to change, is as follows:
Opening Night T-Shirt Giveaway (presented by Georgia Power)
2018 Schedule Magnet Giveaway
Trunk or Treat
Halloween Night with Zombie Photo Opportunities, Broken Bobblehead Burial
Stripers “Fishtail” Bobblehead Giveaway (presented by Coolray Heating & Cooling)
Jackie Robinson Day – Specialty Jersey Auction
Bicentennial Throwback Night – Celebrating Gwinnett County’s 200-year history
Diamond Dig (presented by Georgia 811)
Nick Jr. Day, featuring the PAW Patrol
First Responders Day – Specialty Jersey Auction
Man Crush Monday – Featuring the Manlympics, a series of manly contests, with the winner being crowned our Manly Man Crush Monday
Education Day #1 (10:35 a.m. start time)
Education Day #2 (10:35 a.m. start time)
Ozzie Albies “Star Wars” Bobblehead Giveaway (presented by Coolray Heating & Cooling)
Star Wars Night
Mother’s Day Pampering at the Park (presented by Gildan)
Pink Out the Park for Breast Cancer Awareness
Social Media Night – Opportunities for fans to win prizes and autographed items via the Stripers’ social media channels throughout the game, fans also run the game entertainment via social media, including choosing the music
Game Show Night – Your favorite game shows brought to life
Memorial Day (6:05 p.m. start time)
Daycare Day #1 (12:05 p.m. start time)
Ronald Acuña “Superhero” Bobblehead Giveaway (presented by Coolray Heating & Cooling)
Daycare Day #2 (12:05 p.m. start time)
Independence Day Specialty Jersey Auction (presented by Republic Services)
Mike Foltynewicz Bobblehead Giveaway (presented by Coolray Heating & Cooling)
Best of Gwinnett Night – Showcasing the best of Gwinnett sports teams and individuals
Chopper’s Birthday Celebration
Education Day #3 (10:35 a.m. start time)
Cooler Giveaway (presented by Coolray Heating & Cooling)