Three homes in Gwinnett County caught on fire after they were struck by lightning late Friday night and early Saturday morning, according to Gwinnett county fire officials.

One fire was at a home on the 2400 block of Lake Edwards Road in Dacula, Firefighter Lt. Justin Wilson said crews were called to the home at 11:26 p.m. on a report of a fire in the basement. Residents of the home told investigators they heard a loud boom and their smoke alarm went off.

“Crews arrived to find a working fire in a 12,000 square foot, two-story residence on a basement,” Wilson said. “Firefighters investigated and found smoke coming from the basement. Fire attack hose lines were quickly deployed around the side of the home to access the fire. An aggressive interior fire attack kept the fire contained to a small area of the basement and floor system above.”

No one was injured by the fire and the residents declined assistance from the American Red Cross. The fire caused moderate damage to the basement, Wilson said.

The next call came at 12:08 a.m. from a quadraplex on the 1800 block of Patterson Court in unincorporated Lawrenceville.

Two women at the quadraplex told investigators they heard a loud boom and that the internet then went out. It is believed lightning hit an electrical outlet connected to the clothes dryer, which caused a pile of clothes to catch on fire.

“Crews arrived to find a working fire in a second floor laundry room in the unit on the left-side of the building,” Wilson said. “Firefighters quickly deployed a fire attack hose line and operated in the offensive mode to extinguish the fire and check for extension.

“Crews worked fast and successfully contained the fire to the laundry room. The blaze caused extensive damage to the room of origin and sent smoke throughout the upstairs. No injuries were reported.”

The woman in the unit where the fire began have been displaced and are receiving assistance fro the Red Cross. The occupants of the other units were allowed to return to their residences.

Crews were also called to a home on the 500 block of Autumn Shore Drive, also in unincorporated Lawrenceville, at 12:21 a.m. The 911 caller reported a fire in the home’s kitchen.

Everyone who was in the home when the fire began had evacuated by the time firefighter arrived. Like the residents at the home in Dacula, the people who were at the Lawrenceville home reported hearing a loud boom. The lights went out and they found several breakers had been tripped. Smoke alarms began going off shortly thereafter.

“Upon investigation, the first floor contained a moderate amount of smoke with light smoke noted in the basement,” Wilson said. “The fire was located in the floor system between the basement and first floor. Fire attack hose lines were in place and extinguished the blaze before it could extend beyond the floor system.

“The floor system and basement on the left side of the home sustained moderate fire and water damage. Residual smoke was sent throughout the rest of the home.”

The family is receiving temporary assistance from the Red Cross since they were displaced by the fire.

I'm a Crawford Long baby who grew up in Marietta. I eventually wandered away from home and attended the University of Southern Mississippi, in Hattiesburg, Miss., where I first tried my hand at majoring in film for a couple of years. And then political sc

Stay Informed