A grease fire at the IHOP on Pleasant Hill Road significantly damaged the restaurant Tuesday morning, fire officials said.

Gwinnett County firefighters were dispatched to the breakfast restaurant shortly after 11:30 a.m. after a 911 caller reported flames in the kitchen, Gwinnett County Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesman Donald Strother said.

Firefighters who arrived on scene “reported seeing heavy brown smoke coming from the roof and large flames inside of the single-story commercial structure,” Strother said.

Though crews were able to extinguish the blaze in less than 30 minutes, it made its way into IHOP’s attic and onto the roof, damaging the building.

“Per the district commander, maintenance was being performed on one of the two fryers inside the kitchen. A part of this process included heating the grease inside of the fryer,” Strother said. “The temperature of the grease reached unexpected levels and ignited. Employees used a Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher to put the initial fire out. Unfortunately, the temperature of the grease was too hot and the flames reignited.”

Employees were able to evacuate everyone from the restaurant, and no injuries were reported, Strother said.

IHOP’s kitchen, attic and roof are significantly damaged, though the rest of the restaurant only suffered smoke damage.

The building will be closed temporarily.

Crime Reporter

Isabel is a crime and health reporter for the Gwinnett Daily Post. She graduated from Emory University in 2016 with a B.A. in international studies. She is originally from the Boston area.