JONESBORO — A woman fought off an attacker who broke into her apartment and sexually assaulted her on July 28, says Clayton County Police Chief Kevin Roberts.
Although there was no evidence at press time linking this assailant to a serial rapist using similar methods, Roberts said, "We are aggressively analyzing all of the evidence in this case."
Police say the attack happened at the Park at Tara Lake Apartments, 7545 Tara Road. Officers responded to a 911 call of a home invasion robbery. On arrival, they learned one woman had been sexually assaulted and both she and her roommate had visible injuries.
During the attack, police say, the woman was able to push away the suspect and scream for help. The woman's roommate fought the attacker, who fled through the rear sliding door.
Police scoured the area but were unable to find the suspect. Investigators returned the next day to look for possible witnesses and any evidence in the area.
The suspect in this case is described as a dark-complected African-American male with a low haircut, thin mustache, slim build and "defined abs," between 5 feet, 10 inches and 6 feet tall, wearing jeans and plaid green and white boxers.
"The safety of the public remains to be our number one priority, and it is never taken lightly," Roberts said. "We will continuously provide safety tips to arm the citizens with methods on protecting themselves during possible times of vulnerability."
• Chaselake Drive, which is near the Averly Apartments, Chase Village, Battle Creek Village, and Jester Creek Trail off Battle Creek Road in Jonesboro;
• Roberts Drive, which is near the Emerald Pointe Apartments, Central Park Apartments, and the GRTA Park and Ride in Riverdale;
• Southlake Cove Court, which makes a ring around the Southlake Cove Apartments in Jonesboro;
• Brookview Drive, which is also near the Emerald Pointe Apartments, Central Park Apartments, and GRTA Park and Ride in Riverdale;
• Wynfield Drive, which is near the Rex Mill Square Apartments, Bloom at Jonesboro Apartments, and Crossroads South Shopping Center off Tara Boulevard and Ga. Highway 138 in Jonesboro;
• Spring Lake Apartments, 7000 Southlake Pkwy., which is near Clayton County Police Headquarters;
• An incident in which a woman was attacked in her single-family home off Tara Blvd.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call CCPD at 770-477-3747.