December 2, 2011
Hi my name is Corinne Nicholson and I'm a pop culture junkie. I can't get enough movies, television, music and books. The Gwinnett Daily Post has nicely given me this blog to share my addiction with the rest of you.
Here are some things to know about me:
• I'm a child of the '90s. I was 12 years old in 1990. So my most formative years were spent listening to Grunge, wearing flannel and using phones that could only make phone calls and had cords. When we didn't know something we had to go to a library. We certainly didn't Google it. Times have changed a little since then.
• My favorite magazine is Entertainment Weekly. I have been a loyal reader since my teens. It is my go-to for finding out what TV to watch, what movies to see, what books to read, what new music is out and what is going on in Hollywood. I would be very sad without it. It might even be one of the 5 items I would bring to a deserted island.
• I watch a lot of TV. A LOT. The new TV season is one of my favorite seasons. I eagerly await the end of summer to map out the recording plan for the new shows and my returning favorites. My favorite new show for this year is “New Girl.” And my favorite show on television right now is “Parks and Rec.” It is “literally” the funniest show on TV.
• I prefer my reality TV where the people have to pass some sort of challenge. I do not have time to watch other people argue with each other and act ridiculous. I'm looking at you Snookie. Think about how much better the “Real Housewives of Atlanta” would be if they had to make their own food and Tom Colicchio and the gang got to judge that. Or if they had to make dresses for Heidi Klum out of their living room curtains. I think I'm on to something.
• I've lived in Gwinnett for 30 years and I think Atlanta radio stinks. I got tired of hearing the same song on three different channels and sometimes even at the same time. I have always thought for such a big city, we have very little variety in our radio stations. So I bought an XM radio 6 or so years ago and haven't looked back since. (My favorite station was 99X and I was very sad when it died. I know it has resurfaced but it just isn't the same.)
• I think all iPods should come with the song that was in the commercial already preloaded on them. How does Apple manage to pick songs that are so catchy that I don't mind watching the commercial? Right now the iPod Touch commercial features Grouplove's “Tongue Tied.”
• I am super excited about the resurgence of the Muppets. I grew up on the Muppets. I watched “The Muppet Show” and “Sesame Street” as a kid and have seen all the Muppet movies. They never fail to make me smile. So I'm happy that they are everywhere right now. I haven't had time to see “The Muppets” yet, but you better believe I will soon. I hope Miss Piggy gets to karate chop someone.
• I'm a big fan of Harry Potter. I thoroughly enjoyed the books and the movies. I have been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando and it is amazing. I think any fan of Harry Potter should take a trip down there at some time. I was sad when I wasn't selected for the beta testing of the Pottermore website. I am still waiting along with millions of others for that to open up. We were promised October and it still hasn't opened yet. We need our Potter fix J.K. Rowling.
• I have read the Twilight books and watched the movies and can say I am definitely – Team Peeta. No, Peeta isn't in the Twilight series, he's in “The Hunger Games.” If you haven't read the epic series by Suzanne Collins — do so now. It kicks the Twilight series right in the vampire teeth. And the trailer for “The Hunger Games” movie was the best thing about the “Breaking Dawn – Part 1” movie.
• I love Christmas and especially the movies, TV and music that come with it. I am super-excited about “Prep and Landing.” It came out three years ago and FINALLY made it to DVD last month. Last year they had a follow up “Operation: Secret Santa” and on Monday ABC is airing another one, “Naughty vs. Nice.” I'm setting my DVR and so should you if you enjoy fun Christmas specials.
So what have we learned today kids? Watch “Parks and Rec” on Thursdays, watch “Prep and Landing Naughty vs. Nice” this Monday, and read “The Hunger Games.” You won't be disappointed. If you don't believe me, watch this and tell me what you think.
Corinne Nicholson is the deputy copy desk chief for the Gwinnett Daily Post.