April 12, 2012
Now that it's spring, it's time to eat some light, healthy foods to get back into those bathing suits. I found this recipe online and tweaked it to my taste buds. It's simple, fresh and easy to make — even on a busy weekday. Plus, you can prepare the fish and slaw a day beforehand, then cook when needed.
- 1 lb. cod (or any flaky white fish)
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 3/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 bag prepared slaw mix (any kind you like; I bought broccoli slaw)
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Salt to taste
- Tortillas (Flour or corn, your choice)
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
1) Heat oven at 350 degrees F.
2) Whisk together the lime zest and juice, paprika, garlic, 1/4 cup of oil and salt. Taste it to make sure it's got flavor and add seasoning as needed.
3) Cut fish into strips and add to the lime and oil mixture. Toss to cover the fish and let marinate in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or overnight, if needed.
4) In a new bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey and the rest of the oil. Toss in the prepared slaw and jalapenos. Put in the refrigerator if using the next day.
5) When ready to cook, place fish strips onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil. Add both to the oven for 10 minutes.
6) Slice the avocado. Here's a helpful video for amateur avocado slicers: VIDEO
7) To build, place tortilla on the bottom, layer with fish, then avocado and finish with slaw.
Do you prefer your fish tacos fried, baked or cooked in a pan?