February 1, 2013
Gwinnett County in Georgia may not be someplace you would have heard of before you visit, but it will certainly be someplace you remember when you leave. Located not too far from the Atlanta area, Gwinnett is full of fun and southern family charm. And if you are a young adult looking for a place to go to college this could be the perfect area. There is plenty to see and do, and no matter how far away your family lives, Gwinnett can make you feel right at home.
Georgia Gwinnett College
Georgia Gwinnett College is located about 30 miles northeast of Atlanta in Lawrenceville, Ga. and was recognized in 2012-2013 Public Colleges of Distinction. In about 5 years’ time GGC has gone from a student body of just 100 to over 9,000. Gwinnett prides itself on being a school who is dedicated to using the latest innovative technology and “active-learning environments” for its students. A few things the school is committed to include:
· Continuous review, assessment, change and experimentation.
· Holistic student development.
· Building partnerships with the community and local businesses.
· Integrating technology and education.
· Providing a supportive work environment for students.
GGC has programs in education, business, science and technology, and liberal arts. Through these programs you can learn how to become a certified teacher, pick from one of 21 liberal arts disciplines including international relations and English writing. You can learn about digital media or organic chemistry from the science and technology department. Or if you are into business you can learn about stocks and investing, and even try stock online trading. And for students who may need a little extra help through college, there are transitional learning programs to help.
Any time you plan to go to school, make sure you are prepared beyond just the academics. Make sure you know where local hospitals and doctors are, or any other helpful services. Also, be financially prepared by having a job or work study lined up. And it can be smart to do a search for top credit cards for college students so you can have something in place for an emergency.
Fun Things to Do
Gwinnett doesn’t have to be all about studying. Check out some of the local fun, like:
· Adrenaline Climbing for some indoor climbing fun.
· Aurora Theatre Company which was just named the Best Theatre Company in Atlanta.
· 78 Skate roller rink.
· Apex Museum- African-American Panoramic Experience.
· Atlanta Botanical Gardens.
· Stone Mountain Park.
· Sugarloaf Mills Outlets for shopping.
· Malibu Gran Prix for some go-cart excitement.
· Pirate Cove Adventure Golf (mini-golf).
· Ippolito’s Italian restaurant.
· McCray’s Tavern on the Square.
· Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament.
Gwinnett can be a great place to go to college. Not only can you get a great degree from an advanced and growing college, but you can enjoy the local town and all the fun it has to offer. And if you want to add even more excitement, head down to Atlanta and enjoy the city or take in a Braves game.