Duluth Historical Society Museum to host open house.
Louis Howington bowls every Monday and even organizes her league.
PaperBackSwap, an Internet book swapping club, founded in Suwanee.
Best to keep looking ahead.
This is one resolution I'll be glad to keep.
Remembering Christmas traditions, from snake ornaments to a meat cleaver.
One of many worthy causes this holiday season.
Dedicating book to, or buying them from, local library makes for a great gift.
Pursuit is a "melting pot" of dancing.
Sentinels of Freedom and Task Force Patriot leading the way.
Colored tresses don't bring same baggage as they used to.
TV journalist will discuss her book, life at fundraiser.
It's a funny thing how memories are triggered.
A local club is recognizing the Viking spirit.
Celebrating Labor Day with workers who love their jobs.
The longer I live, the longer my list of things I just don't understand. For example, when I'm driving along about five miles over the speed limit and there's not a car behind me for 10 miles down the road, why does someone coming off a side street whip out
As usual, I can depend on my readers to come through with stories more interesting than my own. Two weeks ago, when I asked readers to share their Gwinnett memories, natives and newcomers alike had stories to share.
I felt honored to be included in the celebration of the arrival of the more than 1,600 "Dummies" books the Gwinnett County Public Library won in a nationwide contest.
For David Bolton, when it came to canoeing, one thing just seemed to flow into another.
I love field trips. When my kids were in school I was always the first to volunteer to chaperone. Friends still tease me about the way I used to pile all the kids in the cul-de-sac into my mini-van and haul them off on some local adventure.
It's always fun writing a mailbag column where I get to share what my readers have to say. The last few weeks have brought in some of the best.
The Urban Baboon did not wander out of the jungle. The Urban Baboon does not amble along the streets of our cities. Actually, the Urban Baboon doesn't even exist except as the name of a website.
My husband loves reading the free classics on his Kindle. But what he seems to enjoy the most is reading passages to me from books like "Crime and Punishment," written by Fyodor Dostoyevsky in 1866 that sound like they could have been posted on the Internet yesterday.
I love the math. I love math, period, but the philosophy behind the 3/50 Project really gets me excited. The 3/50 Project, whose mission is to "save the brick and mortar our nation is built on," is simply one way to keep money in the local community.
For Paul Pickard, every day is Memorial Day. As Director of the Veterans Memorial Museum at the Gwinnett Historic Courthouse, Pickard who is retired from the Air Force, is one of about 20 volunteers who keep our military history alive.
Today is the day. The kickoff for the 2011 Summer Reading Program at the Gwinnett library. Every library in the county is signing kids up for their big summer reading event. (If you can’t make it to the party, you can sign up online at www.gwinnettpl.org).
Be prepared. Those two words have always been ingrained in Shoji Ketchem's thinking. Maybe because he grew up in a military family and always had to be prepared to move. Or maybe they were reinforced by the Gulf War.
My mother always warned me -- and yours probably did, too -- to never leave the house without clean underwear because you never know when you might get in a wreck and wind up in a hospital.
Gwinnett Toastmasters really have something to talk about. Yes, I know what you’re thinking. They always have something to talk about. That’s why they join Toastmasters, so they can get up in front of an audience to talk.
Some people might think Jeff Foxworthy is a tough act to follow, but for Bobbi Pack, he just set the stage for the whole community to get in on the act.
Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in obedience to him.
This column is not for dummies. Actually, I'd like to think none of my columns are, but this one in particular is aimed at highly intelligent people (which all my readers happen to be) who are willing to lift a finger to help the Gwinnett County Public Library acquire 1,600 new books absolutely free.
Shop 'til you drop. For me, that means about 15 minutes. Unless, of course, I'm going along for the ride on one of Melissa Baxter's Back by Popular Demand bus tours.
For what it’s worth, I’ve been blessed with this amazing long-term memory. I can’t remember where I put my glasses, but I can recall incidents as far back as when I was 18 months old, as verified with shock by my mother.
As you read this, I could be catching up on news with my friend Kathy in Gulfport, Miss., having coffee with friends in Baton Rouge, La., or visiting my brother Bob and his wife in Galveston, Texas. With the price of gas, it sure is nice to have friends to free load off of along the way.
I don’t have a smart phone to keep everyone aware of my whereabouts, so I’ll just have to use my column to let my readers know that next weekend I’ll be vacationing in the Gulf. But while I’m having fun in the sun, I don’t want you to feel like you’ve been left behind. All kinds of cool things will be happening while I’m away.
Time was if you heard any storytelling at the library, it was courtesy of a volunteer mom sitting on the floor with 10 toddlers squeezed in between two overloaded bookshelves. Same goes for art exhibits, which amounted to a bulletin board thrown together with whatever construction paper those same volunteer moms could find in a cardboard box stashed under the checkout desk.
Of all the animals in the Chinese zodiac, the rabbit is considered to be one of the most lovable. Maybe that’s why there are so many books about them.
It’s still 2010 and I already have about a dozen columns lined up for 2011. But before I look to the future, I’d like to take one more look at some of my columns past. Besides, with all pessimism about the economy, I love highlighting how many of “my people,” as I think of them, have flourished.
American Education Week has come and gone. This week, observed since 1921, spotlights the importance of community support for public education. And a lot of programs like Principal for a Day which gave more than 120 county leaders a chance to see how they can help support public education, took place around the county.
Next to water, tea is the second-most widely consumed beverage in the world.
For most people, today is Halloween. But for Lutherans, it's Reformation Day, the biggest day of the year.
Baseball, bootleggers, millionaires and more. Those are just a few topics of Norcross history you can learn about on the inaugural city cemetery tour at the Historic Norcross Harvest Festival next Saturday.
When it comes to supporting our troops, Kat Orr of Loganville goes above and beyond the call of duty. Through her nonprofit organization known as Operation Love From Home, she has sent more than 100,000 Christmas cards to our troops.
Like a little kid craning to see the car’s odometer roll over into the next all-zero milestone, I must admit it excites me every time that happens with my column, which today rolls over to 600. I looked back over the past 11 years and thought it might be fun to chronicle all my other big rollover events.
“Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother’s house we go. The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh…”
It’s Labor Day Weekend, and for 90 percent of the work force it’s a chance to kick up their feet and relax. And for the other 10 percent, well, it’s just another three days to try to figure out how to make some money.
When Lambert High School opened in Suwanee, just over the Gwinnett border in Forsyth County, last year, its focus on music struck a chord with the community. In order to provide a high quality band program for the school, Lambert took out a sizable loan from the school system to ensure that every student had an instrument and uniform. The plan paid off in many ways.
Anna Huthmaker never set out to be a trail blazer. All she wanted to do was take a hike.
When I moved to Atlanta in 1973, I was invited to an old-fashioned Southern barbecue.