CARACAS — Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said on Friday he had decided to offer asylum to former U.S. intelligence contractor Edward Snowden, who has petitioned several countries to avoid capture by Washington.
VATICAN CITY -- Pope John Paul II, the globe-trotting pontiff who led the Catholic Church for nearly 27 years, and Pope John XXIII, who called the reforming Second Vatican Council, will be declared saints, the Vatican said on Friday.. The Vatican said Pope Francis had approved a second miracle
CAIRO -- Egypt's armed forces overthrew elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi on Wednesday and announced a political transition with the support of a wide range of political, religious and youth leaders.. After a day of drama in which tanks and troops deployed near the presidential palace as a military deadline
Former South African president Nelson Mandela's condition deteriorated to "critical" on Sunday, the government said, two weeks after the 94-year-old anti-apartheid leader was admitted to hospital with a lung infection.
Benedict XVI moved back to the Vatican on Thursday, opening an uncertain era in Catholic Church history where an "emeritus pope" and a ruling pontiff will live as neighbours for the first time.
Thirty-eight people were killed, most of them in their beds, in a fire that raged through a psychiatric hospital near Moscow on Friday, raising questions about the care of mentally ill patients in Russia.
French parliament approved a law allowing same-sex couples to marry and to adopt children on Tuesday.
SEOUL -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry warned North Korea on Friday that it would be a "huge mistake" to test launch a medium-range missile and said the United States would never accept the reclusive country as a nuclear power.. Addressing reporters after talks with South Korea's president
Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has died from a stroke at age 87.
TORONTO -- Canada got a taste of international panda diplomacy on Monday with the arrival of two "Very Important Pandas" at the start of a 10-year loan to two Canadian zoos.. Speaking as the two giant pandas arrived in Toronto from China, Chinese Ambassador Zhang Junsai --
By Matt Spetalnick and Suleiman Al-KhalidiReutersAMMAN, Jordan -- U.S. President Barack Obama and Jordan's King Abdullah presented a united front against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Friday as Jordan grapples with a refugee crisis caused by Syria's civil war.. Obama, in Jordan following a visit to Israel and
A dozen car bombs and suicide blasts tore into Shi'ite districts in Baghdad and south of the Iraqi capital on Tuesday, killing more than 50 people on the 10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein.
VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis celebrates his inaugural Mass on Tuesday among political and religious leaders from around the world and amid a wave of hope for a renewal of the scandal-plagued Roman Catholic Church.. Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to cram St. Peter's Square and and
OSLO, Norway -- Hunters have slaughtered 3,500 reindeer on a British island near Antarctica in a step to get rid of animals that were brought from Norway a century ago and are an increasing threat to native wildlife.. The reindeer on South Georgia were corralled into pens and slaughtered by
SEATTLE -- Doctors opened a medical review Sunday on a U.S. soldier charged with killing 16 civilians, most of them women and children, near his Army post in Afghanistan in an effort to determine his state of mind at the time of the killings and ability to stand trial.. The
- Woman shoots, kills fellow Alabama fan after football loss to Auburn
- Delta bumps 50 passengers to accommodate Florida Gators team
- Amazon testing delivery with drones
- 'Cyber Monday' sales set to hit record
- Holiday weekend sales dip on discounts; e-commerce jumps
- New York train derails; 4 dead, 63 injured
- 'Fast and Furious' actor Paul Walker dies in car crash
- Massachusetts mall Santa charged with groping coworker
- New York deli shop owner, son charged in theft of $1M lottery ticket
- Willie Nelson's band members injured in Texas bus crash
- Improper testing procedures lead to Winder police chief’s resignation
- Chuck Efstration wins Gwinnett House seat
- Winder councilman retains seat
- Keith Roche wins battle between neighbors in Lawrenceville
- 2013 Election Results: Runoffs
- Commissioner John Heard to seek second term
- City of Buford employees get 3 percent raise
- VIDEO: 'Behind the Scenes' ... at the Recycling Bank of Gwinnett
- Voters to choose between Cantrell, Efstration in House runoff
- County government collects awards
- Thanksgiving holiday travel results in 15 traffic-related deaths
- 'Fast and Furious' production in Atlanta delayed after Paul Walker's death
- Tree from Georgia International Horse Park serves at Christmas tree at Governor's Mansion
- Congressmen hold field hearing on Obamacare in Gainesville
- Homeless man steals alligator from aquarium in Ga.
- Global lights come to Turner Field
- Snow Mountain ready for winter tubing
- Ga. 400 toll to end Friday
- Braves release images of development around Cobb County stadium
- Missing UGA student found dead near campus