Dozens of bodies were scattered around the smouldering wreckage of a passenger jet that crashed in a field in eastern Ukraine.
President Barack Obama paid tribute on Friday to U.S. veterans who 70 years ago stormed the beaches of northern France.
Christians, many belonging to ancient denominations found only in Syria, form about 10 percent of the country's population. Most fear the rising power of Islamist groups within the rebel movement fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad, although many are also wary of the authorities.
The avalanche struck a perilous passage called the Khumbu Icefall, which is riddled with crevasses and piled with serac - or huge chunks of ice - that can break free without warning.
BTC China, one of the country's leading digital currency exchanges, has installed China's first bitcoin ATM and launched an online app allowing individuals to buy and sell bitcoins using mobile phones, skirting local banking regulations seen as increasingly hostile to so-called crypto-currencies.
Almost 300 people were missing after a ferry capsized off South Korea on Wednesday, despite frantic rescue efforts involving coastguard vessels, fishing boats and helicopters, in what could be the country's biggest maritime disaster in over 20 years.
Aircraft and ships ploughed through dire weather on Thursday in search of objects floating in remote seas off Australia that Malaysia's government called a "credible lead" in the trans-continental hunt for a jetliner missing for nearly two weeks.
Russia's Winter Olympics got underway on Friday with a grandiose opening ceremony watched by President Vladimir Putin, who will be keen to calm fears of militant attacks and move on from a row over gay rights that has marred the buildup to the Games.
Mikhail Kalashnikov, the Russian designer of the AK-47 assault rifle which has killed more people than any other firearm in the world, died on Monday aged 94, officials said.
President Barack Obama shook hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at a memorial for Nelson Mandela on Tuesday, a rare gesture between the leaders of the ideologically opposed nations that reflected the anti-apartheid hero's spirit of reconciliation.
Nelson Mandela guided South Africa from the shackles of apartheid to multi-racial democracy, as an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world.
Rescue workers struggled to reach ravaged towns and villages in the central Philippines on Monday as they tried to deliver aid to survivors of a powerful typhoon that killed an estimated 10,000 people and displaced more than 600,000.
Fleetwood Mac bass guitarist John McVie has been diagnosed with cancer and the rock group has canceled the Australian and New Zealand leg of its world tour so that he can undergo treatment.
A roadside bomb in eastern Afghanistan killed 18 people, including at least five women, who were travelling to a wedding party by minibus.
A jubilant Pope Francis celebrated reaching 10 million followers on messaging site Twitter on Sunday, a milestone in the Vatican's drive to spread the gospel through social media.
- Mom's Facebook post gets son expelled | VIDEO
- Joan Rivers hospitalized, stops breathing during surgery | VIDEO
- CDC: Worker possibly exposed to Ebola | VIDEO
- 'Breaking Bad,' 'Modern Family' earn top Emmy Awards in night of repeats and upsets
- Review: Emmy Awards wisely erred on the side of comedy
- Emmy fashion: Red, White and safe all over
- Billy Crystal pays tribute to Robin Williams at Emmys: 'The brilliance was astounding' | VIDEO
- Apple recalls iPhone 5s for battery woes
- 'All clear' at U.S. Army's Fort Lee in Virginia after report of shooter
- Pop's ladies lead MTV VMAs with raunchy moves and tears | PHOTOS
- POLITICAL NOTEBOOK: Education remains focal point for gubernatorial candidates
- Gwinnett sheriff: Suggestions of congressman's militarization bill are 'insane'
- Woodall: Securing border, employment controls key to immigration reform
- Suwanee votes to keep same millage rate
- Clark to replace Brown as GOP state house nominee
- Commissioners approve $875K stream restoration project
- Commissioners approve $1.25M agreement for transportation plan update
- BOC approves purchase of ammo, new police pursuit vehicles
- ARC says Gwinnett fastest growing county in metro region
- Unsealed testimony offers insight into bribery case against Kevin Kenerly, David Jenkins
- Dragon*Con 2014 expected to draw record crowds
- Ga. DOE accepting applications for family-friendly partnership school awards
- Man stabs Georgia State University cop, Atlanta officer shoots him | RAW VIDEO
- Gwinnett Tech Foundation names new board chair
- CDC: Worker possibly exposed to Ebola | VIDEO
- Common Core supporters, critics spell out their stance at BOE hearing
- Ga. teen among four killed in fiery Ohio plane crash
- Turner offers 6% of U.S. workers buyouts
- Police say 13-year-old Ga. boy killed in bed likely not intended target
- Ebola patients released from Atlanta hospital