Top Sports stories
One of the greatest heavyweight boxers of his era, Lawrenceville native Ezzard Charles finally gets a book about his life and career
LAWRENCEVILLE — Blake Snell, who has risen to Tampa Bay’s No. 2-ranked prospect, drew plenty of attention when he started the season with 46 consecutive scoreless innings.
BALTIMORE — Right-hander Chris Tillman extended his winning streak to six games and the Baltimore Orioles got a pair of homers from Jonathan Schoop and J.J. Hardy to complete a three-game sweep of the Atlanta Braves with a 2-0 victory Wednesday night.
FLOWERY BRANCH — The Atlanta Falcons are hoping that a mixture of returning players and several newcomers will improve the league’s worst defense.
Senior Archer nose tackle Kobe Smith annoced via Twitter that he was committed to the University of Kentucky Wednesday night.
In a report broke by MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan and confirmed by CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman, the Texas Rangers were close to acquiring Philadelphia Phillies ace Cole Hamels, and it appears the deal will be finalized Wednesday night and will be announced officially early Thursday.
New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft harshly criticized NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s decision to uphold Tom Brady’s four-game suspension, calling it “unfathomable.”
Justin Rose has produced sparkling form over the past three months after a slow start to the PGA Tour season and says he is “excited” about his title defense at this week’s Quicken Loans National in Gainesville, Virginia.
LONDON — Fears about Rory McIlroy’s participation in the U.S. PGA Championship increased on Wednesday after the injured world number one withdrew from next week’s PGA Tour event, the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.
LAWRENCEVILLE — With a pair of acclimation practices under its belt, the Discover High School football team is just days away from its first full-pads practice of the fall.
BALTIMORE — Matt Wieters led off the bottom of the 11th inning with a home run that gave the Baltimore Orioles a 2-1 victory over the Atlanta Braves in an interleague match-up Monday night.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Kansas City Royals were quiet at the trading deadline last year and advanced to the World Series.
PHILADELPHIA — Mexico spoiled Jamaica’s first trip to the CONCACAF Gold Cup Final with a dominant 3-1 triumph on Sunday that gave them a record seventh Cup title.
MANKATO, Minn. — The Minnesota Vikings signed kicker Blair Walsh to a contract extension Sunday.
INDIANAPOLIS — A Lap 50 crash, after Clint Bowyer spun in front of him, knocked Jeff Gordon for a loop in Sunday’s Crown Royal presents the Jeff Kyle 400 at The Brickyard, his last race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway as a full-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver.
SPEEDWAY, Ind. — Kyle Busch claimed his first Brickyard 400 victory at Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday. Although it was his first win, Sunday’s event brought Busch his third-consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victory and his fourth in the last five races.
LAWRENCEVILLE — The Atlanta Braves planned to have Williams Perez make at three or four rehab starts with Gwinnett.
OAKVILLE, Ontario — Jason Day spoiled Canadian hopes of a first home-grown winner in 61 years at the Canadian Open with a one-stroke victory on Sunday.
ST. LOUIS — When pitcher Matt Wisler was acquired by the Atlanta Braves as part of the six-player trade with the San Diego Padres on April 5 that sent ace closer Craig Kimbrel west, many fans viewed it as yet another salary dump for a rebuilding team.
LAWRENCEVILLE — The Gwinnett Braves won a game against Charlotte on Friday night despite having their bench reduced to one position player and using a couple others in unusual spots.
UNCASVILLE, Conn. — Maya Moore of the Minnesota Lynx scored 10 of her team’s final 12 points to finish with a game-high 30 and lead the Western Conference to a 117-112 victory over the Eastern Conference in the 2015 WNBA All-Star Game on Saturday at Mohegan Sun Arena.
ST. LOUIS — Shelby Miller’s luckless string continued Saturday night for the Atlanta Braves, as did Carlos Martinez’s breakout season for the St. Louis Cardinals.
INDIANAPOLIS — With a relentless charge that forced Ryan Blaney into a mistake on the final lap, Kyle Busch grabbed the lead with a half-lap left at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and took the checkered flag in Saturday’s Lilly Diabetes 250 NASCAR Xfinity Series race.
Parkveiw senior wide receiver Tyler Fleetwood verbally committed to Miami University (Ohio) late Thursday night.
- Archer's Kobe Smith picks Kentucky
- Kyle Busch goes for historic fourth straight win
- Bob Kauffman remembered for 'larger than life' presence around Brookwood hoops community
- Central Gwinnett's Krigger finishes fourth at national wrestling tournament
- North Gwinnett pair commits to play college football
- Excitement building for Discovery football
- Parkview wideout Tyler Fleetwood commits to Miami University (Ohio)
- Hebron Christian's Runnels signs with Emmanuel College baseball
- YOUTH ROUNDUP: CSA Elite wins YBOA national championship
- Duluth's Niwano ties for second in AJGA event
- Durham snaps Gwinnett streak with 5-3 victory
- Braves limited to just four hits in 2-0 loss
- HAMMOCK: New book profiles Ezzard Charles, Gwinnett’s heavyweight boxing champion
- Newcomers could breathe life into Falcons’ defense
- G-Braves win fifth in a row by beating Durham 9-3
- Teheran's road struggles continue in loss to Baltimore
- Foltynewicz gets call to fill in for Banuelos
- G-Braves sign first baseman Lennerton
- Jenkins allows two hits over eight innings in G-Braves shutout
- Wieters walk-off homer beats the Braves in the 11th
- Former Mountain View ace Moore looks for brighter future after strong SBL season
- Suwanee-based Team Belief league crowns its college, pro basketball champions | PHOTOS
- Georgia Tech football favored to be division champs by ACC media
- Georgia Tech, Tennessee to kick off 2017 in Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game
- Dacula's Marcus Cox on Doak Walker Award Watch List
- Norcross grad Bailey Tardy wins North and South Amateur Championship
- Alexander, Nkemdiche, Chubb among preseason All-SEC picks
- Richt addresses many questions about offense at SEC Media Day
- SEC MEDIA DAYS NOTES: Media taps Auburn — or is it Alabama? — to meet Georgia in SEC Championship game
- Buford grad Alexander represents LSU, Gwinnett at SEC Media Days
- A VIEW FROM THE COUCH: You Know You're a Bulldog When
- A VIEW FROM THE COUCH: Best Dressed Dawg
- A VIEW FROM THE COUCH: Student-athletes are back and so am I! 3 comments
- BUCK'S BYTES: Internet, TV gave soccer path to victory 1 comment
- WILL'S WORLD: Friday's matchups will reveal plenty
- WILL'S WORLD: Don't forget about Parkview 2 comments
- WILL'S WORLD: Boyd and the Milton saga
- WILL'S WORLD: Football tab time
- THE BLITZ: Questions and some answers for the season
- LOCAL IN LONDON: Final thoughts and retrospective
- Archer wins Class AAAAAA wrestling duals
- Collins Hill's Tyler Henderson
- RAW VIDEO: Norcross head coach Keith Maloof