This program, the Apparent Project, also collects soda cans and other “garbage” to recycle into jewelry, notepads, and household items to help families rise out of extreme poverty by providing employment. And as a bonus, this artisan project helps keep litter out of the environment.
Kit Yarrow, author of “Gen Buy: How Tweens, Teens and Twenty-Somethings are Revolutionizing Retail,” says, “What you learn as a kid kind of becomes your values as an adult, so this generation really knows luxury and quality, and that’s what they want.”
When the military guard stood at attention at Mr. Hoyt’s casket and taps played, I put my hand over my heart and cried.
In 2008, Tom Wargo established Daffy’s Pet Soup Kitchen to help provide food for people who could not afford to feed their pets and to keep them from having to turn them over to a shelter. Daffy’s not only provides food, but they make available free or discount spaying and neutering, a requirement for receiving the food Daffy’s provides.
Three kets to a lasting marriage
She did not squander time on life’s foolish pursuits – shopping for pretty dresses, parties, choosing a new lipstick color or beach vacations. She was, all would agree, a statue for sturdiness, a monument to women who looked life and its troubles squarely in the eye and stared down those challenges.
People want to make money. They also want to make a difference. Creating a culture of passion and purpose is how you do both.
Each fall I read the Peanuts cartoon in which Lucy entices Charlie Brown to kick the football — just so she call pull it away at the last minute and watch him fall flat on his back. And every year I want to scream, “Don’t do it, Charlie Brown! It’s a trick!”
With my mill hunk upbringing where the only goal we grew up with was to work in the same factory that our grandparents worked in when they got off the boat, I’ve always had a fascination with people who have vision; I love interviewing them and sharing their inspiring stories.
Paperwork is bad enough, but when people ask you to fill out their forms with the same information you provided on a previous visit, they’re trying to make their life easier, not yours.
About the only thing that has changed is that Mama doesn’t make my clothes any more. And that is both a good thing and a bad thing.
We’ve all heard the old saying, “Aim for the sun and land among the stars.” That analogy might not be astronomically accurate, but we get the gist: strive for excellence and, even if you don’t quite get there, you will still have succeeded.
I love keeping up with all the wonderful people that I feature in my column, especially those who are performing a service to the community.
In place of the Common Core, Tienken calls for a system that would “end standardization, return local control, and provide financial and technical assistance for school districts to design comprehensive programs with large curriculum offerings to meet the needs of all kids.”
Built on a rock. I’ve long been aware that Gwinnett County does indeed trace its beginnings back to a rock and that rocks continue to shape our history.
Health and Wellness
- Governor declares March Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month at request of Gwinnett doctor
- HEALTH BRIEFS: Local hospital to host Affordable Care Act seminar and enrollment event
- Weekly restaurant health inspections for March 3
- Bobsled medalist visits local girl, patients at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
- 'Pink in the Rink' has special meaning for Gladiators' ice crew
- Weekly restaurant health inspections for Feb. 24
- 'Lone Survivor' tells story at Gwinnett Medical Center Foundation gala
- Country music singer tours hospital before peforming locally
- HEALTH BRIEFS: Free prenatal care visits offered to uninsured pregnant women
- Eastside Medical Center, Walgreens announce clinical collaboration agreement
Home and Garden
- DALY: Now is the time to prevent summer weeds in lawns
- DALY: Proper and timely pruning promotes healthy plant growth
- UPCCA to host gardening event
- North Atlanta Home Show draws large crowds
- DALY: Native azaleas are an attractive feature to the home landscape
- DALY: Soil testing essential in improving the quality of your soil
- DALY: Proper pruning of crape myrtles is essential
- DALY: Use care when planting around septic drainfields
- DALY: If given proper care, fruit trees will produce abundantly
- DALY: Protecting landscape plants from the unseasonably cold weather
- BUCK'S BYTES: Simple tech is often good tech
- BUCK'S BYTES: Should electrical wiring, lights still be so old school?