Several times Leif mentioned Coach Flowe taking him aside and encouraging him. Every player knew that simply being on the team made him part of their success.
All things being equal, most high schools will have a really tall kid every few years. Most will have the occasional college prospect, maybe two. But what should we make of those programs that feature a steady stream of 6-foot-9 athletes and boast multiple Division I signees every year? What are the odds that would occur randomly?
We’ve all known people who touted the merits of their best (perceived) traits without realizing that they carried them to such extremes that people found them off putting.
Whether this has been a year that leaned more toward blessings or tribulations, give thanks for it. Because even the hard times are leading to better times and when you get to those better days, you’ll celebrate them with pure joy.
I don’t recommend the drive-through, however, for parents with small children. Using it will merely frustrate your real purpose: having half an hour to eat in peace while your kids will disappear inside the playground.
SaltLight Center, run by Family Promise, is a volunteer run emergency shelter for homeless single women and women with children. It provides a safe and loving overnight stay for those in need and Karpf is most grateful for all its willing volunteers.
The 60 percent principle is my new mantra. If I want it, and I’m close to 60 percent confident that I can do it, I’m going for it.
The American Dream. Pure and simple. Why aren’t we doing more to extol it these days? Why aren’t we celebrating the opportunities of a country where the poor can rise mightily?
In cross country, parents pull for their kids, sure, but they also pull for all the other kids — even kids on other teams. One of the most heartwarming things I’ve ever seen in sports is a bunch of parents and athletes cheering on the very last runner as he or she approaches the finish line.
When you are a teacher, free time is tough to come by.
The big Pet EXPO coming up Nov. 16 at the Gwinnett Convention Center really sounds exciting. It’s free, there are more than 120 exhibits and visitors are encouraged to bring their own pets, including hamsters, birds and lizards.
A recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that one in 25 American teenagers attempts suicide and one in eight has thought about it. After recently reading a stack of essays written by high school seniors, I think I might have some ideas why.
There’s a great scene in the 1980s movie “When Peggy Sue Got Married.” Kathleen Turner’s time travels go back to high school. Already having lived much of her adult life, she confidently tells her math teacher, “Mr. Snelgrove, I happen to know that in the future I will not have the slightest use for algebra.”
It’s been 20 years without Davey Allison and I, at last, am able to laugh at his antics rather than recalling just the sorrow. And there are the lessons, too, that he taught.
They say one of the first signs of age shows up in your hearing. I don’t know if that means the actual physical workings of your ears go bad or if it’s a matter of what you hear or don’t hear that is the determining factor in this aging process.
Health and Wellness
- HEALTH BRIEFS: Local primary care facility joins Northeast Georgia Physicians Group
- Pollen count skyrockets earlier than normal
- Weekly restaurant health inspections for March 10
- Governor declares March Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month at request of Gwinnett doctor
- HEALTH BRIEFS: Local hospital to host Affordable Care Act seminar and enrollment event
- Weekly restaurant health inspections for March 3
- Bobsled medalist visits local girl, patients at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
- 'Pink in the Rink' has special meaning for Gladiators' ice crew
- Weekly restaurant health inspections for Feb. 24
- 'Lone Survivor' tells story at Gwinnett Medical Center Foundation gala
Home and Garden
- DALY: Now is the time to prevent summer weeds in lawns
- DALY: Proper and timely pruning promotes healthy plant growth
- UPCCA to host gardening event
- North Atlanta Home Show draws large crowds
- DALY: Native azaleas are an attractive feature to the home landscape
- DALY: Soil testing essential in improving the quality of your soil
- DALY: Proper pruning of crape myrtles is essential
- DALY: Use care when planting around septic drainfields
- DALY: If given proper care, fruit trees will produce abundantly
- DALY: Protecting landscape plants from the unseasonably cold weather
- BUCK'S BYTES: Simple tech is often good tech
- BUCK'S BYTES: Should electrical wiring, lights still be so old school?