Speaker Boehner and the Republican leaders in the House have not even held a hearing on this bill, voted on this bill, or offered an alternative bill. Yet neither Mr. Huckaby nor Mr. King has criticized Speaker Boehner or the Republicans for this woeful inaction to address our broken immigration system.
There are still no real proposals that would stop future mass illegal immigration. Isn’t it a shame that our citizenship and legal residency are to be traded for votes and cheap labor?
I agree with Nate McCullough that the media frenzy over Ebola has us envisioning Ebola victims sauntering down the street like the “Walking Dead” ready to infect anyone in sight with a deadly bite.
For a government official to try to intimidate or censor speech from the pulpit, or any other form of communication, is clearly unconstitutional and this effort by Houston’s mayor should not survive a single court challenge.
Congratulations to Pakistani teen Malala Yousufzai
Our county commission has chosen to ignore the hardship of the citizens of Gwinnett County and voted to retain the present property tax mileage rate. Due to an increase in property values the end result is a serious increase in property taxes.
I am sorry to hear the news of Coach Bill Lloyd’s passing. I had the privilege of playing for Coach Lloyd at CollinsHill High School when the school first opened.
When reading the May 21 paper, I noticed that a lot of front page coverage was given to the Republicans running fo the Senate. I also noticed that there was one line given to the Democrats running for the Senate. I have looked through the paper and have not found another article about that Senate race.
The lack of knowledge about the FairTax is why we should all read and research info and decide for ourselves rather than accept our favorite politician’s opinion on important matters. If you can’t afford the Fair Tax book, visit the library.
What letter writer Vinson Hall fails to point out that there is a rebate on taxes for basic items such as food, clothing, etc., those below a certain income level will still pay no net taxes. He also overstates the amount of the tax, which is going to be closer to 23 percent. This tax is designed to be revenue neutral.
Rich will be well-served in this new position by his 22 years in the legal profession and justice system, which includes more than two terms on the State Court bench. His acceptance of this new responsibility demonstrates his continued commitment to serving the public and the court system, which in turn helps fulfill the constitutional promise of justice.
The multi-million dollar (all private money) study that led to the FairTax indicated that expenses to business would decrease about the same amount as the Fair Tax (23 percent). Market forces would mean that prices would slide downwards by a similar number.
By including her in the “tips of the iceberg” of Racism in America, the political cartoon in the May 1 edition of the Daily Post did an incredible injustice to Paul Deen.
Donald Sterling, owner of the NBA Clippers basketball team, is a bigot and deserves little sympathy but we should all be afraid of the tactics being used in the attempt to destroy him.
I have been in a committed relationship for 21 years. Because my partner and I are heterosexual, our marriage gives us valuable rights and privileges that we have come to take for granted.
- OUR VIEW: Winding road finally leads to school bus cameras
- OUR VIEW: Teacher of the Year finalists best of the best
- OUR VIEW: Pink paper’s goal: Raise awarness for breast cancer
- OUR VIEW: Gwinnett Public Schools distinguishes itself with second Broad Prize
- OUR VIEW: Georgia Gwinnett College puts best foot forward in welcoming incoming students
- OUR VIEW: Thumbs up to Moore, county for animal shelter improvement
- OUR VIEW: Start of school brings reminder to be cautious around buses
- OUR VIEW: Tax rate decision prudent if not popular
- OUR VIEW: On the road, remember to ‘move over’ for emergency personnel
- OUR VIEW: Reminder of public hearings for county millage rate
- CEPEDA: Now that’s a real wildfire
- CEPEDA: The rainbow that isn’t
- CLINE: Keep your sanity with some timely reminders this holiday season
- PRYOR: Despite e-commerce, shopping malls continue to see growth
- THOMAS: Gov. Mike Pence: National government is not the nation
- HUCKABY: Christmas in the classroom used to be a lot more fun
- KRAUTHAMMER: A travesty of a report
- SOWELL: When did the law become optional?
- CEPEDA: The impact of trade and immigration
- PARKER: Feminism sees the right