Arizona Republican Governor Jan Brewer has vetoed the “religious freedom bill” passed by the Republican legislature. While there is no mention in the bill of same-sex marriage, or even homosexuals, most people believe same-sex marriage and homosexuals were the targets of the proposed law.
We took our lumps from the national media with our most recent winter storms that derailed traffic and about everything else, keeping kids from school and most folks inside. But the advantage to living in the South is that weather lasted for days, not months.
Rather than tackling the source of problems in minority communities, we have embraced a pop culture that celebrates destructive behavior via movies and music.
Whether anything Obama says or does would stop anyone remains questionable. But surely the West has more financial clout than Russia’s kleptocratic extraction economy that exports little but oil, gas and vodka.
I set out 40 days ago on a fast of my own. I wasn’t going to give up eating entirely, but I was giving up all red meat, all added sugar — including drinks — all gluten, which means all bread and wheat products, and all dairy products. In other words, if it tasted good, I couldn’t have it.
Billy Bryant wasn’t always a cat person, but after his pet cat Felix helped save his life, he’s singing a different tune.
Obama and the Democrats still believe that no one who works full time should have to be poor. Despite their new rhetoric, Republicans obviously disagree.
Earth was blessed to have Granny for 91 years.
In town for the National Governors Association winter meeting, Bobby Jindal joined other state chief executives in front of the White House after a meeting with the president. Taking the microphone, Jindal said among other things that “the Obama economy is now the minimum wage economy,” and the president is “waving the white flag of surrender.”
Good parenting can help save kids from unproductive childhoods. And we needn’t even reach a consensus about what constitutes “good.”
It seems as if, everywhere you turn these days, there are studies claiming to show that America has lost its upward mobility for people born in the lower socioeconomic levels. But there is a sharp difference between upward “mobility,” defined as an opportunity to rise, and mobility defined as actually having risen.
My family was watching the Olympics when a young lady, Ty Walker, was getting ready for the snowboard slopestyle event. Walker injured her heel a few days earlier during practice and spent hours soaking her foot in ice so she could compete in the qualifying event.
After much criticism from conservative quarters, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has decided, at least for now, to withdraw plans for its proposed study of how media organizations gather and report news.
Wanda Young, 78, is a fixture in the Snellville area. She volunteers for Eastside Medical Center’s Health to You program and is a mainstay at the Snellville Senior Center, helping man the front desk and organizing the monthly bingo game.
Last Friday, Obama ostentatiously visited drought-stricken California. Surprise! He blamed climate change. Here even The New York Times gagged, pointing out that far from being supported by the evidence, “the most recent computer projections suggest that as the world warms, California should get wetter, not drier, in the winter.”
- OUR VIEW: Boy Scouts, honorees deserve thumbs up for American Values Dinner
- OUR VIEW: In Snellville, the neighborhood watch is a SNAP
- OUR VIEW: STAR luncheon perfect highlight of student-teacher relationship
- OUR VIEW: Weathering the storm
- OUR VIEW: Long list of football signees shows Gwinnett’s strength in numbers
- OUR VIEW: Daily Post proud to be part of local Spelling Bee
- OUR VIEW: Same old saga in Snellville
- OUR VIEW: State of County address offers positive news
- OUR VIEW: Thumbs up to Lilburn officers for their good deed
- OUR VIEW: Kick off the new year by being a Red Cross blood donor
Letters to the Editor
- Lilburn greenway nice, but not at expense of grant money
- LETTERS: Highlighting the loving nature of Lent
- LETTERS: Horse feathers to Obama being good at taking blame
- LETTERS: Traffic needs to be considered before mix-used project complete
- LETTERS: Letter off the mark on criticism of Obama
- LETTERS: At least Christie takes responsibility
- LETTERS: Why can't they all get along in Snellville?
- LETTERS: CFI, like DDI, good for traffic flow
- LETTERS: Thoughts heading into a new year
- LETTERS: U.S. is not mediocre