As of Wednesday, March 19, 2014
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE — Gwinnett firefighters responded to the scene of an outdoor natural gas leak on West Pike Street and Honeysuckle Circle in Lawrenceville on Wednesday afternoon.
This area is just below the square in a heavily traveled thoroughfare around downtown Lawrenceville. West Pike Street was closed between Culver Street and Langley Drive, and city police diverted traffic away from the area until the situation could be brought under control.
“The fire department responded after a cable utility worker reported a smell of gas in the area as they worked from power pole to power pole,” said Capt. Tommy Rutledge, spokesman for the fire department. “Firefighters found a faint odor on arrival and requested the fire department’s hazardous materials team to probe the area with meters. Firefighters found high readings in a nearby manhole and determined that to be consistent with other manholes in close proximity.”
The gas leak was brought under control at 7:54 p.m. All fire equipment cleared the scene at 8:02 p.m. and the roadway was reopened at that time.
The source was found to be from a bad coupling on a 3/4-inch gas line about four to five feet underground. An emergency crew from Lawrenceville Gas remained at the scene to make repairs to the coupling.
There were no injuries and no evacuations reported.