Friday, June 27, 2014
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
It’s Swim Safely Week for Gwinnett County’s aquatic centers and several events have been planned to encourage water safety throughout the summer.
Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation will host games and activities and give away prizes at various aquatic facilities from June 30 through July 4.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, drowning is the sixth leading cause of unintended injury-related death for people of all ages and the second leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 14.
The schedule of activities includes:
Monday, June 30
• Noon to 3 p.m. at the Mountain Park Aquatic Center located at 1063 Rockbridge Road in Stone Mountain
• Noon to 3 p.m. at Dacula Park Pool located at 205 Dacula Road in Dacula
Tuesday, July 1
• Noon to 3 p.m. at Best Friend Park Pool at 6224 Jimmy Carter Blvd. in Norcross
• 1 to 4 p.m. at Collins Hill Park Aquatic Center located at 2200 Collins Hill Road in Lawrenceville
Wednesday, July 2
• Noon to 3 p.m. at Bogan Park Aquatic Center at 2723 N. Bogan Road in Buford
• Noon to 3 p.m. at Lenora Park Pool at 4515 Lenora Church Road in Snellville
Thursday, July 3
• Noon to 3 p.m. at West Gwinnett Park Aquatic Center at 4488 Peachtree Industrial Blvd. in Berkeley Lake
• Noon to 3 p.m. at Rhodes Jordan Park Pool at 100 E. Crogan St. in Lawrenceville
Friday, July 4
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Bethesda Park Aquatic Center located at 225 Bethesda Church Road in Lawrenceville
Children and adults can participate every day of the week and visit www.gwinnettparks.com to download activity sheets and information.
According to Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation, research shows that formal swimming lessons can reduce the risk of drowning by 88 percent among children aged 1 to 4 years. The department offers swim lessons for those as young as six months to adults of all ages. Group, private and semi-private swim lessons are available in a variety of class levels to benefit everyone from novice to advanced swimmers. For more information on swim lessons, details about the county’s aquatic centers or other planned events, visit www.gwinnettparks.com.