Wednesday, June 11, 2014
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE — The man accused of firing at police officers and SWAT team members from inside his Buford home has been released from the hospital and booked into the Gwinnett County jail.
Online records show John Chris Digiulio, 42, entered the local detention center at about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, four days after Gwinnett County police responded to 4690 Gold Mine Drive following reports of gunshots. Digiulio, who was shot during the ensuing SWAT standoff, has been charged with four counts of aggravated assault and is being held without bond.
According to Gwinnett County police spokesman Cpl. Jake Smith, officers arrived at Digiulio’s home at about 4:25 p.m. Friday and “learned that Digiulio was wheelchair bound and had been in a domestic dispute with his roommates the day before.” Efforts to convince him to leave the home were unsuccessful and, at about 5 p.m., he reportedly fired a weapon at officers. None were injured and the SWAT team was activated.
“SWAT team members were in place at about 6:05 p.m. when the suspect fired additional shots from a window towards officers that were stationed outside,” Smith said. “When the suspect reappeared in the window with a gun at about 6:30 p.m., an officer fired a single shot, striking the suspect.”
Digiulio then made a 911 call asking for help and, after authorities confirmed that he was unarmed, was treated at the scene and transported to the hospital, Smith said.
The location of Digiulio’s gunshot wound has not been released, though a mug shot showed a bandage on the right side of his neck.
Per department policy, the officer that fired the shot has been placed on administrative leave. The incident will be investigated by the county’s Deadly Force Investigation, made up of Gwinnett County police’s homicide, crime scene investigations and internal affairs units, as well as the district attorney’s office.