0

SWAT standoff ends as suspect shot, hospitalized

BUFORD — A standoff was ended Friday evening when the Gwinnett County police SWAT team shot a suspect in the hand after he had fired at officers.

The suspect, Jon Christopher Digiulio, was taken to a local hospital after calling 911 after being shot in the hand, Cpl. Jake Smith said. Smith said he will remain under guard until his release.

The incident began around 4:15 p.m. when police were called to the 4600 block of Gold Mine Drive in Buford after a report of gun shots. Upon arriving, police made contact with the suspect's family and learned that Digiulio was wheelchair bound and had been in a domestic dispute with his roommates the day before, Smith said.

Police were not able to convince Digiulio to come out of the house, and Digiulio later fired shots at officers, activating the SWAT team. Digiulio later fired additional shots at police just after 6 p.m. When he appeared in the window around 6:30 p.m., he was struck by a single shot fired by police.

Smith said Digiulio dropped behind a wall after being hit, and placed a 911 call at about 6:42 p.m. stating that he was injured and asking for help. The SWAT team was able to confrim that he was injured and not armed at about 6:52 p.m. A SWAT medic rendered first aid. No officers were injured.

The officer that fired the shot will be placed on administrative leave, per standard operating procedure, Smith said. The Deadly Force Investigation Team (DFIT) will investigate the officer involved shooting.

Parts of the investigation are still ongoing, Smith said.