0

Hotel temporarily evacuated after small fire

A Monday afternoon fire at a Lawrenceville hotel forced staff and guests to evacuate but was contained to the laundry basket where it started.

Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the Holiday Inn on John B. Wilson Court at about 2:15 p.m. Monday, finding a “moderate haze of smoke” inside the laundry room. A small fire was contained to a basket of linens that had been removed from an industrial gas dryer and no injuries were reported.

Ten to 15 staff members and guests were temporarily evacuated.

“The fire appears accidental and may have been sparked when a pile of cotton linens overheated from the gas dryer,” Rutledge said.