0

Grill triggered fire that damaged Buford home

Gwinnett fire officials talk about a fire that broke out at a Buford home on Wednesday afternoon.


A large fire caused heavy damage to a home on the 3500 block of Haddon Hall Drive Wednesday afternoon. (Photo: Kelley Hammock)

A large fire caused heavy damage to a home on the 3500 block of Haddon Hall Drive Wednesday afternoon. (Photo: Kelley Hammock)

Video

Fire destroys Buford home

Gwinnett fire officials talk about a fire that broke out at a Buford home on Wednesday afternoon.

Gwinnett fire officials talk about a fire that broke out at a Buford home on Wednesday afternoon.

BUFORD — A back-porch grill ignited the fire that caused heavy damage to a Buford home Wednesday afternoon.

Gwinnett County firefighters were called to a home on the 3500 block of Haddon Hall Drive at about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday after a resident heard a “popping noise” and spotted fire and smoke inside the living room. The resident and a family pet escaped unharmed before crews arrived to find “heavy smoke and fire” coming from the second level and roof.

“Wind conditions and the size and construction of the home caused the heavy fire conditions to grow,” fire department spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden said.

Firefighters battled the blaze from outside and were able to bring the bulk of the fire under control within about 40 minutes, Rhoden said.

“The fire caused heavy damage to the house and most of the roof materials,” Rhoden said.

Three adults were displaced but will not require Red Cross assistance. No injuries were reported.

Rhoden said that a fire investigator determined the blaze to be accidental, and that it “started on a back deck in the area of a grill that was used the day before.”

MOBILE USERS: Click here to view video.