On The Menu
• Oxtails — Braised, seasoned oxtails with butter beans and garlic served with rice and beans or white rice, plantains and cabbage, $14.95
• Brown stew chicken — Pan-seared and stewed with onions, scallions, bell peppers, tomatoes and carrots and served with rice and beans or white rice, plantains and cabbage, $8.95
• Jamaican patty — Seasoned ground beef, mild or spicy, curried chicken or a spicy vegetable patty baked in a pastry shell, $2
686 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Suwanee
• Open since: July 17
• Owner and manager: Dahlia Hudson-Little and Denise Hudson, respectively
• Location: Country Pepper is tucked into the Suwanee Creek shopping center just off Peachtree Industrial Boulevard in Suwanee.
• Hours: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday
• Atmosphere: Caribbean music plays as customers dine in a brightly lit and colorful dining area where small flower holders with fresh flowers dot the tables.
• Menu: Serving up authentic Jamaican food, oxtails are the most popular item on the menu at Country Pepper. They’re braised and seasoned with butter beans and garlic. The restaurant is also known for its jerk chicken and curry goat.
“Jamaica has influence from the Spanish, the English, East Indian and Chinese and then you have West African influences as well,” Denise Hudson said. “There’s a lot of flavor. You’ll find thyme and pimento in many of the dishes.”
Country Pepper’s food is made fresh daily, and side items include steamed cabbage, fried plantains, rice and beans, white rice, dumplings and green bananas.
“It’s almost an extension of you coming over and having dinner with us,” Denise Hudson said. “Everything that we have is what we know, it’s in our heritage.”
The restaurant also serves Jamaican brand drinks, including Jamaican sodas, as well as fountain drinks that include Coke, Coke Zero and Fanta Orange Sprite.
On Saturdays, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Country Pepper offers a brunch menu that features ackee and saltfish, the national dish of Jamaica. Ackee is a fruit that is cooked down like a vegetable and saltfish is cod.
• Something you might not know: Country Pepper is a family-run establishment. Sisters Dahlia and Denise are joined in the restaurant by Dahlia’s husband, Clement Little, their father, Sperjohn Hudson, who is typically in the kitchen, and their brother Keno Hudson.