Officer injured, suspect killed following chase at Lawrenceville apartment

Marcus Garner

Marcus Garner


Shena Penrose

LAWRENCEVILLE — A man is dead and an officer was hospitalized for several hours after an officer-involved shooting early Wednesday morning in unincorporated Lawrenceville.

The shooting happened around 1 a.m. on Sweetwater Road near Old Norcross Road, Gwinnett County Police said. Police responded to a call of a suspicious car at Lake Sweetwater Apartments, and when police made contact with the car, two males and a female jumped out and fled on foot. Officers caught the female suspect but a male suspect got away.

Sgt. Brian Doan said the remaining suspect was shot after an officer found him standing over his partner. The officer shot the suspect, who later died at a local hospital, Doan said. The officer was hospitalized with a head injury, but had not been shot.

Gwinnett Police Cpl. Jake Smith said the deceased suspect is Marcus Garner, 22, a black male, who had an outstanding warrant for a probation violation. The female suspect and driver of the suspicious vehicle is Shena Penrose, 27, a black female. Penrose is in custody on an outstanding warrant for failure to appear in court.

A second officer reported that he heard shots fired at 1:02 a.m., the same time the first officer stopped responding on his radio, police said. Once the second officer caught and secured Penrose, he rounded the corner of a building in the complex and found a male suspect armed with a gun, standing over the officer. A minute later, the second officer fired several shots, struck and disabled the suspect. The officer’s shots were fired at 1:03 a.m.

Additional charges are under investigation.

Officers are investigating the identity of the man who fled. Police do not believe he is armed or dangerous, or was involved in the attack on the officer.

Doan said the officer who was knocked out was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center, where he regained conciousness, and has been released from the hospital this morning. Penrose was taken in for questioning.

The investigation continues as police try to determine what activity took place before officers arrived on the scene.

The officers will be placed on the standard procedure of administrative leave for at least three days during the preliminary investigation. The first officer has worked with Gwinnett Police for nine years, the second for four years.

The officers’ identities will not be released until the Deadly Force Investigation Team’s investigation is completed, which could take 90 days.

Other departments investigating the incident included the Homicide Unit, the Crime Scene Investigations Unit, the Internal Affairs Unit, the Medical Examiner’s Office and the District Attorney’s Office.

Return to www.gwinnettdailypost.com for updates.