GGC soccer scores sweep in Rain

LAWRENCEVILLE — Senior Rene Enang scored twice Saturday afternoon as the 24th-ranked Georgia Gwinnett men’s soccer team topped Union College (Ky.) during heavy rains 3-1.

After falling behind by one early, the Grizzlies answered with two goals before halftime before adding an insurance score in the second half.

Freshman Lewis Sharpe tied a season high with four saves in the contest as GGC (6-3) turned Union (3-4-1) away down the stretch.

Union’s Alex Smith headed in a crossing pass in transition from Andre Scott as the visitors took a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute.

Georgia Gwinnett wasted little time in responding as Johan Sanchez sent a precision pass ahead to Enang between Bulldog defenders and the senior midfielder flicked it over goalkeeper CJ Hopkins for the equalizer in the 20th minute.

Just over seven minutes later, the Grizzlies jumped in front as Martin Lugo served up Ruud Grol for the freshman’s third score of the season as GGC took a one-goal lead into the break.

Georgia Gwinnett put just four shots on goal during the game, but made three of them count, including Enang’s second goal of the day in the 74th minute on a cross from A.I.I. Player of the Week Ibrahima Sissoko. Enang now has a team-high five scores on the year.

GGC women 4,

Tennessee Temple 1

The Georgia Gwinnett women’s soccer team used a pair of goals from senior Jocelyn Baker on Saturday afternoon to capture its second road win in as many days, this time a 4-1 victory at Tennessee Temple University in Chattanooga, Tenn.

The Grizzlies got a goal and an assist from senior Amanda Dale while sophomore Mackenzie Bailey tallied a pair of assists.

Georgia Gwinnett allowed an early goal before holding the Crusaders scoreless the rest of the way, the seventh time this season GGC has held its opponent to one or fewer goals. GGC is now 3-1-1 on the road this year.

“It was great to go on the road in adverse conditions and come away with a win in a total team effort,” said Grizzlies head coach Domenic Martelli after the game, which was played in heavy rain almost the entire time. “We created a lot of good chances. Tennessee Temple is a much improved team and their goal was well-earned so we were proud that we limited their chances offensively.”

Dale tied things up with her team-leading fifth goal of the season before Baker connected twice for a 3-1 GGC lead. Freshman Nikki LeFevre added the final score for GGC, which is outscoring its opponents this year, 23-9.

The Grizzlies return to action next Saturday, Sep. 28, hosting Georgia Southwestern in a 4 p.m. matchup in Lawrenceville.

“Now we need to come home and have a great week of training to get ready for the challenges ahead, starting next Saturday,” added Martelli.