0

Norcross apartment fire displaces family

NORCROSS —Two adults and three children were displaced in a Norcross apartment fire on Saturday evening.

Gwinnett firefighters responded to the 1200 block of Sparrows Lane at the Highland Walk Apartments. Capt. Tommy Rutledge said crews were dispatched at 5:51 p.m. and had the blaze under control by 6:06 p.m.

The fire appears to have been accidental and sparked by a candle burning in a child’s bedroom, Rutledge said.

Flames were showing from the bedroom of a ground floor apartment unit of an apartment building. The building was in the process of evacuation when the fire department arrived and no injuries were reported, Rutledge said.

The fire was contained to a back bedroom of a single apartment unit, and the fire caused moderate damange to the room along with smoke and heat throughout the apartment. A vacant ground floor apartment sustained minor water damage, Rutledge said.

The Red Cross assisted a family of five displaced by the damage.