Cops: Couple left disabled child in cold car during Suwanee drug deal

Boni Lee Hutchison

Boni Lee Hutchison


Bryan Gregory Fossier

SUWANEE — Police believe a couple left their disabled son outside in the cold as they stopped at a Suwanee motel to try and buy marijuana.

Suwanee police were called to the Sun Suites on Celebration Drive at about 10:45 p.m. Sunday after a 5-year-old boy was found roaming the complex by himself. The child told authorities he had been left in the unheated car while his parents went to a room on the third floor.

Boni Lee Hutchison, his mother, and Bryan Gregory Fossier, his stepfather, soon came out of that room and were questioned. After initially saying they were just visiting friends, Hutchison allegedly spilled the beans.

“She stated that her husband of five months, the child’s stepfather, had recently been released from prison and that they had driven down from Gainesville to attempt to purchase marijuana from the occupants of the room,” according to an incident report. “Hutchison stated that she had to drive as Fossier was under the influence of valium and neurontin at the time. She stated that she and Fossier brought a laptop computer with them as collateral as they didn’t have the money to purchase the marijuana.”

The occupants in the room in question said Hutchison and Fossier were there for about 30 minutes. Hutchison admitted she had not left the car engine running to keep the interior warm.

According to police, it was about 30 degrees at the time.

“I asked Hutchison if she thought it was a good idea to leave a 5-year-old child in a vehicle in a parking lot of a business known for harboring transient persons at 11 o’clock at night,” the responding officer wrote. “She stated, ‘No,’ and stated that she hadn’t really thought about it like that.”

The child — who reportedly has Asperger’s syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism — told police he got out of the car and tried to find help as soon as his parents left. He was ultimately released to his grandmother and information was forwarded to the Department of Family and Child Services.

Hutchison and Fossier were both arrested and charged with second-degree cruelty to children. Gwinnett County jail records showed neither had posted $4,050 bond as of Tuesday afternoon.

Upon seeing his mother Sunday night, the boy reportedly told her not to leave him by himself again.

“You’re a monster,” he said, according to police.