Gwinnett County Public Schools held their Teacher of the Year banquet Thursday night, handing out top honors to Hyunijin Son, an engineering teacher at the Gwinnett School for Math, Science and Technology.
To be recognized as the top teacher in a system like GCPS says a lot about Son, who was lauded by her principal, Jeff Mathews, as “a true role model for our future female engineers, but also for all of our young adults.”
A visionary teacher at a visionary school, Son and GSMST are examples of the best that GCPS has to offer. And Son’s humility in her acceptance speech was indicative of the night as a celebration of all teachers.
“I don’t think this is an award I can take on my own,” she said. “But it’s an absolute team effort.”
Also deserving of kudos were Son’s fellow finalists:
• Heather Watins of Mulberry Elementary, who was named Elementary School Teacher of the Year
• Lissette McRea of Berkmar Middle, named Middle School Teacher of the Year
• Ashley Allgood of Brookwood High
• Stacey Dunlap of Simpson Elementary
• Carol Williams of Summerour Middle
While these teachers were the center of attention, and rightfully so, the banquet also served to highlight the “team effort” that takes place at all of our schools. And gives us a chance to say thank you to all the teachers who work so hard to make GCPS such a well-regarded system.