Cooking-related fires displaced a total of 12 residents at three different Gwinnett homes in less than a 24-hour period.
At about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Gwinnett County firefighters responded to an apartment at 2050 Kings Gate Circle in Snellville, finding smoke coming from the front door. They entered the residence and quickly knocked down a fire in the kitchen, but not before it caused moderate damage.
“The fire appears accidental and was caused by a pan of grease left unattended on the stove by the occupant,” fire department spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.
No injuries were reported. Two adults were displaced.
The blaze was the third similar incident within about a 22-hour window.
Firefighters responded to a home on the 4900 block of Cedar Wood Drive in Lilburn at about 8 p.m. Tuesday, after a resident called to report a blaze that started while cooking. A minor resident was taken to a local hospital for minor burn injuries.
“The garage was the area of ignition where cooking was taking place on a working range,” fire officials said. “The garage was heavily damaged by the fire and the rest of the house sustained smoke, heat and water damage.”
A total of six residents were displaced.
Earlier that afternoon, firefighters went to a similar fire on Staunton Drive in Duluth. The blaze — triggered by unattended food on the stove — caused damage throughout the house.
Four residents were displaced.
Rutledge said that cooking fires are the leading cause of residential fires in the United States, and urged residents to stay in the kitchen while cooking and turn off burners when finished.
“Grease fires ignite quickly and spread fast to the cabinets and walls,” he said. “Have a portable fire extinguisher close at hand and use it to douse small fires on the stove as you evacuate.”