Woman arrested at Parkview graduation after fighting with cops

Shandra Nicole White

Shandra Nicole White

LILBURN -- Not everyone was in a celebratory mood last week at Parkview High School's graduation.

One woman, Shandra Nicole White, 32, caused such a "loud and boisterous" distraction that school administrators asked a police officer to escort her from the school, according to a Gwinnett County Police incident report.

White refused an officer's instructions to sit down after she stood in front of the bleachers and disrupted the ceremony, then argued with the officer after he said she would be arrested for criminal trespass, the report said.

While the officer tried to arrest White, and place her in handcuffs, she attempted to pull away several times. She did the same thing minutes later when another officer arrived to transport her to the Gwinnett jail.

"White was very upset about the situation and was yelling and cursing in the backseat of my patrol car," the officer wrote in the report.

Arrest warrants said White also had more than 14 ounces of marijuana at the graduation ceremony. The officer noted that a bag of marijuana was found on the floorboard of the patrol car after White was taken out of the car at the jail.

She was booked in the jail on May 22 on charges of criminal trespass, obstruction of an officer, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and having a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of an elementary school.

She was released on $80,000 bond on Thursday.

Comments

Haughton 10 months, 4 weeks ago

What an embarassment to the graduating student and family that invited her to attend. I am actually suprised we don't hear of more of these cases at GCPS graduations. Year after year there are more people that don't know how to act respectful and dignified in public.

dentaldawg83 10 months, 4 weeks ago

used to not hear about this kind of stuff at all here in Gwinnett..

pcjohn 10 months, 4 weeks ago

How true! Our demographics have changed drastically since 1980, and not for the better it seems.

docgreen1499 10 months, 4 weeks ago

16 arrests since 2006 in Gwinnett County....some people never learn...

Ashley 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Give this freak 20 years of HARD LABOR.

Kat 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Obviously has no respect for the law. The judge needs to sentence her to prison. No more probation and fines.

JohninSuwanee 10 months, 4 weeks ago

This must be quite embarrassing for whomever she was there to see graduate. I just don't understand why some people take pleasure in making fools of themselves like this woman did. Of course, there is no doubt that some will run to her defense and claim this was an act of free speech...which, of course, is equally absurd. I hope that the judge understands that this is something that continues to happen more frequently now and makes an example out of her...and makes it very public!

Oliver 10 months, 4 weeks ago

FordGalaxy 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Oliver, now play nice. We should be a society that is open and welcoming of a person's decision to get tattoos and piercings all over the body. It in no way changes their ability to work in a public sphere.

Okay, now that I've gotten my sarcasm out of the way, let me say this: I don't care what you think about individualism or free speech (I'm a big proponent of both), you need to show some personal responsibility (I'm a big proponents of this, too). Getting massive sleeve tattoos, and getting "inked" on your neck or face WILL adversely affect you in the job market. You'll be hard-pressed to find a business that will hire you if you have a pot leaf tattooed on your neck, or if you have multiple facial piercings. This is not rocket surgery, people. Don't make foolish decisions in your youth and then expect everyone else to accomodate your youthful ignorance.

GeorgiaResident 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm sure the people she was there with won't be embarrassed. They are probably just as big of thugs and not only do they think this behavior is ok, they encourage it.

Haughton 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Ms. Shandra was booked on May 22, but story runs 6 days later on May 28. Where is GDP with their reporting? Here is another example of the future of Gwinnett. Other metro media outlets covered the story ...

SurelyNot 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I don't agree this is the future of Gwinnett. What are you implying? That all newcomers behave like this? Don't think so...Some are just poor examples of stupidity...or maybe good examples of stupidity. As for GDP reporting....it is marginal and has been for quite a while. Sports writing is the best.

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I am implying nothing, I am stating a fact. My wife is a teacher in GCPS. Ask any teacher or administrator in GCPS, and if they are completely honest they will tell you the exact thing. In most postings you are the only one that is wearing rose colored glasses, while the rest of us are living in reality. My wife sees what Gwinnett is becoming everyday, and she teaches in one of the better clusters. If the students are examples of their parents, then Gwinnett is in deep trouble.

SuxBeanU 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Life really plays mean tricks on some people, this one obviously didn't receive a brain.There has to be a good joke in here somewhere.

Mott 10 months, 4 weeks ago

WOW! I know her! This chick actually makes over 100,000 a year. I think this was one of her children graduation. I can only imagine what state of mind this child is in...CRAZINESS!

hangdogs 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Mott, What industry is she in to dress like that and make that much money?

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

She makes 100K doing what for a living?

LilburnLady 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Perhaps the fact that she had almost a pound of weed on her person when she was arrested, might be a clue as to where that 100K a year is generated? Or perhaps it has to do with financial identity fraud? She's got multiple counts of that on her record.

R 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Shes that random poster on AJC articles getting paid 70.00 an hour, then gets deleted for violation of terms...

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

R

Love your comment. Best of the bunch!

dentaldawg83 10 months, 3 weeks ago

ask her to go back to Dekalb/Chicago/Detroit/ or wherever she came from.

LilburnLady 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Dekalb. She has a rap sheet there too. Goes back to 2001.

SurelyNot 10 months, 4 weeks ago

This woman's behavior is inexcusable, and I really hope she does some time for what anybody else would do time for. But I have to tell you when we moved to GC in the 70s and then went to graduations in the 80s, I was appalled at behavior in the stands at Parkview and South Gwinnett. For ex: people brought coolers of beer and soft drinks. By the time the long, long ceremonies were over some were two sheets to the wind, as my dad used to say. Being from southwest Atl I was used to graduation in the City Auditorium and people dressed up and acted dignified. The hooping and hollering in the stadiums was new to me. Now people hoop and holler...I am used to it. I applaud the police for taking this sassy one out. Poor kids she was there for.

SurelyNot 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Forgot to add: Kudos to Parkview administration for throwing her sassiness out!

LilburnLady 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Just go to the Gwinnett County Superior Court website and type in her name. Her rap sheet is two pages long (goes back to 2006) and includes multiple counts of Financial Identity Fraud, DUI, possession of marijuana, driving on suspended license, improper use of dealer tags, etc., etc. Obviously, she is no stranger to the court system.

Mack711 10 months, 3 weeks ago

If this is the case then why is she still on the street? If she is a habitual offender then she should be put away for a long time. The courts probably will not do anything to her again. Maye fine her, give her probation then she can tell everyone that she beat the system again. Seems that she thinks she is privliged person. Maybe one day she will pay.

LilburnLady 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I couldn't say. She has a rap sheet in DeKalb county too but it's all misdemeanor stuff, possession of marijuana, public drunkeness. This latest arrest, however, is not misdemeanor stuff, the amount of drugs she had on her and the fact that she was inside a school with the drugs are both felonies. With her past record, I expect she will do some jail time.

hangdogs 10 months, 3 weeks ago

How many times do you think she was at the school, screaming that 'they wuz disrespecting mybaby'? Move to a county for the schools, then do everything you can to run them down. Fantastic.

RAWSOUL 10 months, 3 weeks ago

What an IDIOT! Just throw away the key and be done with it , she obviously has nothing positive to contribute to society.

ThePeople 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Strong I was present at this turn of event, Mrs. White was simply pleading with the administrators to enter the ceremony, she was not loud or causing a scene. She arrived at the graduation a little after 8 and found that the stadium was full. I was among the crowd that was turned away from the gate and forced to go to the back entrance of the stadium. She, unlike the rest of us, had a 'Home Side' ticket to the graduation and was questioning why she was unable to enter the celebration. The administrators claimed that the stadium was 'too crowded' , after seeing several of attendees exiting the gates, she then proceeded to ask if it was okay if she could now enter the bleachers and was again turned away. After seeing MORE people leaving she asked again and explained to the gentleman that her sister had no one in the stands to cheer her on, she reasoned with the gentleman and asked them 'what if it were their children out there'. She also asked the gentleman if it were okay if her daughter, who exited the bleachers only to direct her mother to their seats, could go in and her sister could at least have one person in the crowd cheering her on, Again the administrators said no, Ms. White turned away and let it be, moments later a cop got the attention of Ms. White and asked 'Do we have a problem'. Ms. White responded 'I'm not sure, do we?'. The cop, stirring back up the drama, provoked administrators to say that Ms. White was not allowed on the premises. Ms. White, still pleading her case, was roughly grabbed by the arm, handcuffed, and pushed out of the stadium. Ms. White constantly asked why she was being arrested and was not answered. I also asked myself this question and watched as the police mistreated Ms. White. So as you all are commenting hurtful things you need to hear both sides of the story. You are hearing this third-hand from a reporter whom mostly likely was not at the event. I would also like to state that Ms. White was in a dress and had no carrying bag, therefore it is not possible that she had '14 ounces' of marijuana on her person. This was one of those moments where you just had to be there. Also a member of Ms. White's party has video evidence of this altercation and you'll will be hearing a lot more of this situation.

LilburnLady 10 months, 3 weeks ago

If it were one of my family members that was graduating, I would have arrived about an hour early in order to get a seat. Graduations are always crowded and seats are always limited. Some schools are now enforcing a rule that noone will be seated after the ceremony begins, so that the ceremony is not disrupted. People get excited about a family member graduating and want to share in that moment, but it's important to be respectful of the other graduates and their families too and not distract from their ability to enjoy "their moment" as well. If Ms. White could not be part of the actual ceremony, she could have waited patiently and quietly until her sister left the auditorium and then participated in photo-taking and the family celebration afterwards. As a result of not accepting that she wasn't going to be allowed in, she has now embarrassed herself, her sister and her family and has been charged with some pretty serious felonies. Even if she was completely in the right and was being denied entrance unfairly, Ms. White has certainly had enough experience with the police in the past to know when it's just not worth arguing with a security guard and a police officer. Now she'll get to argue her case in front of a judge.

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

LilburnLady, your comments regarding the "rules" for the graduation ceremonies and the expectations for the guests are on point. Thank You.

ThePeople, while you may have been an eyewitness, your comments are just as one-sided and jaded, and will hold no impact on the outcome. I seriously doubt the video evidence that you speak of will help Ms. Shandra's case. If anything that tape in addition to her criminal history in the metro area will do nothing but add to her legal problems.

dentaldawg83 10 months, 3 weeks ago

always an excuse for this type of behavior..not this time..based on her record she's a ne'erdowell..no excuses for her behavior..

JohninSuwanee 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Sorry, I don't believe a word of this. I know a number of folks who witnessed this and they indicated that she was out of control. I'm guessing this is just ill fated attempt to defend someone who can't be defended.

Wyoming1 10 months, 3 weeks ago

A thug being a thug. Just look at this piece of work. Gpd should have tazer this thug.

John_Smith 10 months, 3 weeks ago

She looks like the epitome of a hood rat.

Oliver 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Wow - All y;all better start playing nice or your comments are going to get deleted as well.

Maybe they'll even shut down the comments for this article.

FordGalaxy 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Agreed - as it forces my comment out of context.

In all seriousness, I saw nothing wrong with your comment in the first place.

SickandTired 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Oliver, i saw nothing wrong your deleted comments. Moderator needs to step back. My favorite recently was the "woman" parapro who got arrested for sexually assaulting the special needs student. Commenting was disabled.

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Oliver your comments were fine. If the GDP doesn't want posters to make comments about the physical appearance of an individual, then they should not have posted her picture. Everyone would agree the story would not be complete without Ms. Shandra's mugshot!

MichelleCouch 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Just a reminder - innocent until proven guilty and justice is blind. I hope that all sides of this story will be considered at trial, including the video that will most likely be one of the most important forms of evidence.

Never judge anyone by a police report, past criminal history, or their appearance. In fact, lets leave the judging up to God and those individuals who sit the bench - who don't necessarily get it right, all of the time (meaning Judges, not God).

I do not know this woman and will not persecute based on what I have read. People can change. May she has, maybe she hasn't; but people can improve themselves. However, if society is always persecuting, judging and damning the individual, how will the motivation to change ever occur; how will even a spark of the right will take place?

If any of the posters here with ugly comments sit in church on Sundays as a Christian, maybe rethink your hurtful words and pray for this person instead of persecute.

Just my very humble reaction to this thread.

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Ms. Couch

Innocent until proven guilty is a burden placed solely on the judicial system. This is a forum of public opinions, and that is precisely what we are doing. The arena of public opinion allows us that priviledge. Why do you feel the need to Judge, in the same manner you accuse us of? Do you feel that inserting religion into your opinion makes your judgement superior?

Congratulations on your journey from a criminal life to a productive member of society. Instead of wasting your time passing judgement on us, reach out to Ms. Shandra and share with her your struggles and salvation. Put into practice what you preach.

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Fight breaks out at Kindergarten Graduation in Cleveland, OH. Started between 2 rival teen girls, then spread to Adults.

Our society is headed in the right direction?

Oliver 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Haughton, why do you hate everybody??? You must be more open and accepting of other people and their diversity. I was told that diversity is good. Now I'm telling you.

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Mr. Oliver

I only hate criminals and the entitled part of our society. Our "diversity" is tilting in the bad direction, which is clear as we can see. I would be more than happy to make good comments on model citizens, which I have done. Unfortunately the bad diversity gets center stage with the media. I am more that happy to voice my opinion, within the constraints of moderator approval of course.

Thank You Mr. Oliver

UNPLEASANT_REALITY 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Our diversity is our greatest strength! I mean, no one has ever actually stated HOW or WHY that is the case. It just IS.

Back in reality, I had to short sell my home in order to get away from people like Ms. White and their barbaric behavior. Although I could easily afford my mortgage, my development, with an average cost of about $165K, had become a Section 8 rental nightmare, with dozens of Ms. Whites. To say that the two phenomena are completely unrelated is to deny what one can see with their own eyes, each day, in any corner of the county. But political correctness mandates this, and no manner of conclusions with regard to race, based on a lifetime of personal experiences (aka reality), can ever be discussed. Just take a look around the web for Jason Richwine or SBPDL.

Gwinnett's future is cast in the mold of Ms. White.

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Not suprising. However poster Ms. Couch thinks she can be saved ...

SurelyNot 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Inappropriate behavior is nothing new here. We have become insensitive to many forms of insulting and inappropriate behavior. People insult others and think nothing of it. People think they are better than others and accept that as being normal. Just because someone thinks they are better than someone else, does not make it so. And just because someone does not agree with you, does not make you right. The guest behaved badly. There is a consequence for that. Out. MichelleCouch has a point, and for those of you who read Mug Shots you will know if this guest is a repeat offender or not. Based on the article I support the school and police. Based on what a person who says he/she was there, I find that hard to believe it provoked police involvement. They have way too much to do to get involved in whether someone is admitted to the stadium or not. Anyway, public behavior is a disgrace and it doesn't matter whether it is now or thirty years ago...nothing new.

doctormd 10 months, 3 weeks ago

This young lady stays in my neighborhood. I witnessednthe events as they occurred. They would not allow her in her daughters graduation when she asked why they told her there was no room. As people left she asked if she could go in so she could see her daughter walk across. Over 50 people left as there children walked across. There was no reason why we couldnt go in to see our children. Ms White was the only one to speak up. She didnt yell curse or be disrespectful in any manner. They were upset that she wouldnt just let them treat us " the parents" that way.

To haughton. You should really learn to question what you read. Especially since you werent there. Some things are commons since. How did police officers get a woman in a tight dress in a police car without knowing she has 14ounces of weed? My wife is a gwinett sheriff. She slso states that it is impossible. She also told me that ms white was turning herself in on weekends so that she could work during the week to support her children. Which is why it appears that she has so many arrest in gwinett. The slander im reading here is pretty sad.

Sthrnldy 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Bless Your Heart!! Which parts of your post do you expect any sane person to believe? Since your wife is a Gwinnett sheriff and she was there, why didn't she step in to defend White? She was probably too busy giving you a tongue lashing for ogling over White in her tight dress. Since she was turning herself in on weekends, then how was she arrested again last weekend? I bet you have a lawyerjd in your hood as well that could sue for all this slander? Thanks "doctormd" for the big laugh!!

Kat 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Weekenders don't show up as multiple arrests. Are you suggesting GCPD planted the weed? For whatever reason this woman has constant contact with LE. She disregards the law and violates her probation. Only she can change her behaviour. She doesn't present well with the facial piercing and bleached blond thatch of hair. People do judge a book by it's cover.

Haughton 10 months, 3 weeks ago

The attention given to support Ms. Shandra is absolutely astounding. We have a habitual offender that is obviously incredibly busy making money that she cannot make it to her own daughter's graduation on time? As an FYI, additional info coming out says there is no evidence to suggest she had a child graduating at that time and was not even an invited guest holding a ticket. Her arrest last weekend on the same charges minus crashing a graduation ceremony lead me to believe my sources are valid. My wife is a GCPS teacher in a neighboring cluster, as compared to someone that claims to have a spouse with the Sheriff's department. Really? Good grief people, the support her criminal behavior is receiving is outrageous. Success does not live in Gwinnett anymore!

Mack711 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Ms. White's behavior is typical of what we are seeing on some of the so called reality shows on TV. The one that comes to mind is Hardcore Pawn. We are seeing a culture that says the rules do not apply to me and will get what they want and when they want no matter what. She seems to think that she is above the rules of society as demonstrated by her arrest records as pointed out by another poster. We as a society can not survive with this type of behavior and should not have to tolerate this behavior. It is time for her do do Hard time if found guilty.

SurelyNot 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Only a couple of writers here support the perp. Others opine that her behavior was awful and have stated that. However, the way some of you write, it is no wonder that we cannot get beyond the battles of the 1800s-present. Your writing is insulting to all thoughtful people. Hatred will not heal nor help. Why do I write "hatred"? Call it what it is. And you can write that it is "hatred" toward law breakers. OK. I'll try to buy that. To write about obviously inappropriate behavior conducted by a person is one thing. To generalize is irresponsible and inexcusable ... except to call it ignorance.

MichelleCouch 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Haughton, - I have no criminal record to journey back from; I've never been arrested, and have always maintained a full time professional career. I do a great deal of charity work and have always been a productive member of the non-criminal society.

I am not supporting bad, unacceptable behavior. However, I do try to exercise empathy and fairness as opposed to hatred and disgust for the less than perfect element of our society.

I simply expressed a viewpoint, which as you pointed out, is what people do here.

I appreciate every poster's comments..... The context of my comments were not intended to be judgmental of anyone here. If that is how it was perceived then I sincerely apologize for that.

What happened at the graduation ceremony was clearly unfortunate for a day that marks such a wonderful milestone in an young adult's life.

LilburnsFuture 10 months, 2 weeks ago

It can be explained simply to family and friends. If you are late, you do not get in. This is not a nightclub where some people leave the club and the bouncer let's others in. It is a graduation ceremony. People yelled in the past for their scholar and they will in the future. The key is to simply mind your manners.

It's like church at Christmas time. If you arrive when service begins, don't expect a good seat let alone any seat!

SuwaneeResident 10 months ago

It is difficult to have much empathy for this woman if, in fact, she did behave in the manner described in the media accounts. That said some of the "facts" are simply unbelievable. I mean she had 14 OUNCES of marijuana on her person. Seriously? I find that hard to believe. Also, how does a "bag of marijuana" end up on the floor of the patrol car? Have to believe the officer(s) failed to conduct a proper search. Thankfully, she wasn't carrying a gun (which in Georgia is hardly an uncommon event).

As for the behavior of the crowds, at graduation ceremonies in Gwinnett, I would have to say it's universally bad and likely not much different than any other community. The thinly veiled racist remarks, of some of the commentators, seem to want to assign blame, for this behavior, to one particular ethic/racial group. My experience, at a recent GCPS HS graduation at the Gwinnett Arena, was that all racial/ethnic groups were equal opportunity offenders. In fact, I was surprised to see one group, typically stereotyped as "reserved" behaving as boisterously as any other. Was the behavior classless? Completely so, but no group could claim to be more virtuous than any other.