KING: Rubio's poll numbers mean amnesty could be held off this year

D.A. King

D.A. King

Good news for teachable conservatives. Marco Rubio's "I wanna be president" poll numbers are taking a decided dip. There is real hope of killing another amnesty this year.

Maybe even hope for the Republican Party.

It seems that despite the all-out efforts of the big-money, legalization-again machine and the liberal media (apologies for the repetition), many real conservatives recognize the stench of betrayal radiating from Golden Boy Rubio and his "it's not amnesty" scam.

Rubio's approval rating among self-described conservatives has dropped since the Schumer/Rubio Gang of Eight Amnesty bill was unveiled.

A Public Policy Poll released last week shows that, when asked for their preference on a GOP candidate for the 2016 presidential race, only 17 percent of "very conservative" respondents indicated support for Rubio. That's down nine points from March. Only 18 percent of "somewhat conservative" respondents supported him -- a four-point decline from before the amnesty bill introduction.

Rubio's approval numbers went down about five points with Latinos in the same polling since introducing his amnesty bill.

This is the exact opposite effect the Republican establishment has been peddling. Apparently, many conservative Latinos didn't get the memo from John McCain and GOP central that they were supposed to be all-in on amnesty, expanding legal immigration and adding 33 million more job-seekers to the American labor market in the next decade --while trashing American immigration laws.

Voters who still depend on the liberal mainstream media for their "news" may need a little background on Rubio and his campaign promises before he was elected to the U.S. Senate as a ( I love this) "Tea Party Darling." Rubio, 2009: "If you go to people and say: 'Look, well you've been here for so long that even though you broke the law we're going to let you stay. ... it demoralizes the people that are going through the legal process: it's a very clear signal that 'why go through the legal process if you can accomplish the same thing through the illegal process?'"

Rubio then said, "I never have and never will support any effort to grant blanket legalization amnesty to folks that have stayed in this country illegally." This was well before he went to the U.S. Senate and fell in with the John McCain/Lindsey Graham anything-for-a-buck crowd. It was also before he began tirelessly hauling water for Democrat Chuck Schumer

Were it to become law, the "reform" bill Rubio is now hawking for big business removes the illegal status from the millions of illegal aliens within months of the left-handed signature of Barack Obama. They become legal residents and eligible for state and local benefits on the spot. The promise, even weaker than in 1986, is that there will be a "plan" devised to secure the border after "it's not amnesty."

In a 2010 Fox News campaign debate against Florida's Charlie Crist, Rubio also declared: "As far as amnesty, that's where the governor (Crist) and I disagree. He would have voted for the (2007) McCain plan. I think that plan is wrong, and the reason why I think it's wrong is that if you grant amnesty, as the governor proposes that we do, in any form, whether it's back of the line or so forth, you will destroy any chance we will ever have of having a legal immigration system that works here in America."

Marco Rubio is often described as a "fresh face" in GOP politics. But which face? Here's hoping for the continued voter recognition of the arrogance and contempt this Schumer Republican clearly holds for the intelligence and memory of pro-enforcement Americans.

Despite Rubio's ridiculous radio and TV ad campaign, a Rasmussen poll last week shows only 30 percent think the government is likely to actually secure the border if the Gang of Eight legalization scam passes. Apparently, the other 70 percent remember 1986.

Here's hoping we remember the many faces of Marco Rubio as long.

D.A. King is president of the Georgia-based Dustin Inman Society and a nationally recognized expert on illegal immigration.


kevin 2 years, 1 month ago

Once the fences are built, then you work to make a path for these folks to become citizens. You don't grant amnesty and punish the legal people just because the voters have not ousted those in Congress that not to enforce the laws on the books. This is all about getting those on Congress getting re-elected at the expense of the taxpayers. We have laws, what we don't have it people capable of enforcing them. They rather play around with drones, lying, and denying the truth. By the way, it won't make any difference how the GOP votes on this issue because Hispanics won't vote GOP no matter what they decide to do. They have already been brain-washed.


Sign in to comment