Unattended pan of grease sparks townhome fire

SNELLVILLE -- A pan of grease left unattended sparked a fire in a Snellville townhome on Tuesday night.

Gwinnett firefighters responded to 2450 Kings Gate Circle at 8:39 p.m. and had the blaze under control by 8:46 p.m., Capt. Tommy Rutledge said. The accidental fire was in a kitchen of a two-story, four unit building, and it caused moderate damage to the stove and cabinets, along with smoke throughout the unit.

Rutledge said there was no damage to adjoining units, and residents were allowed to return. One person tried unsuccessfully to douse the flames with water.

The people who live in the home were displaced, Rutledge said.