Gwinnett fire chief Myers to retire

File Photo o  Gwinnett County Fire Chief Bill Myers speaks during a press conference to announce the accreditation of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services' paramedic training program last year.

File Photo o Gwinnett County Fire Chief Bill Myers speaks during a press conference to announce the accreditation of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services' paramedic training program last year.

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Gwinnett County Fire Chief Bill Myers will retire in the coming weeks.

Myers, who joined the county as a firefighter 30 years ago, is due to step down on May 24, he said Monday at a strategic planning session with county officials and commissioners.

"God laid it out there and it all fell into place," Myers said of retirement plans.

He and wife Jamie plan to raise beef cattle on a farm in Tennessee, he said, adding that his Mountain Park home sold quicker than the pair expected, moving up the plans.

"It's really a blessing," he said. "I'm very grateful. Working for Gwinnett County has been an amazing to provide a living for my family."

County Administrator Glenn Stephens said Myers has not only been an affective fire chief for the past four years, but a wonderful role model for employees.

"I think Bill has been a tremendous asset first to the department and the people in the department but also to the county as a whole," Stephens said. "I'm proud of his accomplishments."

Stephens said Myers replacement has not been announced.

Comments

kevin 11 months, 1 week ago

30 yrs is a great feat for anyone to work in any government capacity. Good luck to you and family.

Why_not 11 months, 1 week ago

Best wishes for the future Bill. You have been an asset to the county. We worked together for 25+ years so I know first-hand.

Reason 11 months, 1 week ago

Gee, Kev. That is really nice of you, considering your displeasure of county folks earning any kind of pay, or benefits. Did something wonderful happen for you recently to be in such good spirit?

Why_not 11 months, 1 week ago

I was kinda wondering the same thing about Kevin.......

news2me 11 months ago

Congrats! Obsessing over kevin (yet again) has caused you to muck up an entire thread dedicated to Chief Myers retirement. Shameful!

Why_not 11 months ago

Go away News2me....you are irrelevant. You are nothing more than a troll!!!

news2me 11 months ago

An irrelevant troll .... you have labeled yourself so accurately. You have destroyed a tribute to someone else and made this entire thread a classic pay attention to Why_not section. Pathetic!

mickey 11 months, 1 week ago

There is always more to the story when someone retires from Gwinnett. And why is Glenn the one to make a statement?

Why_not 11 months, 1 week ago

This has been planned for quite some time. No hidden agenda....just retiring after a successful 30 year career. He deserves it. By the way....the Fire Chief reports to the county manager....that's the reason.

Haughton 11 months, 1 week ago

Good luck to him and his family. Very quick indeed to announce on Monday a retirement that takes effect on Friday. No succession plans or replacement for a county department this size is concerning and puzzling.

Why_not 11 months, 1 week ago

Rest assured they know who will replace him....they just haven't officially announced it yet.

Haughton 11 months, 1 week ago

Myers planned for quite some time, only to announce suddenly Monday and be gone 5 days later. This additonal insider information will only lead to more speculation. Thank you for verifying that there is more to come from this sudden announcement.

Why_not 11 months ago

He announced his intentions to retire well before Christmas. Not sure what you are implying but there is nothing there. His retirement get together was announced within the fire department weeks ago but everyone knew this last year. Not sure what you are speculating about but speculate on.......

BufordGuy 11 months ago

What are you guys smoking? This article is date May 13, the retirement is effective May 24. That's more than 5 days. That's a two-week notice. Plus, as said, I heard friends in the fire department discussing this well before Christmas. Chief Myers is one of the good guys, and had a long career serving Gwinnett. Good luck to you Chief.

BobA 11 months ago

I'm sure Mr. Myers has been an exemplary fire chief. However if he joined the fire department in his twenties then he's retiring in his fifties. That opportunity is rarely available to people in private industry. I'd be interested in knowing more about his retirement benefits! If he has accumulated a lot of money in a 401-K, more power to him! If he has a defined benefit retirement for the rest of his life then I question if the taxpayers should be liable for that package. I think Charlotte Nash was an excellent tax commissioner and has been a very good chairman of the county commission. But I seem to recall that when she left her position as tax commissioner she received over $200,000 in "unused vacation"! I have to say that sounds pretty excessive to me!!

Why_not 11 months ago

I don't think Charlotte was ever the tax commissioner. She held many positions including county administrator but never tax commissioner. I am pretty sure that appointed officials like Bill Myers have a defined contribution plan instead of a Defined benefit plan.

LoganvilleResident 11 months ago

Actually, if he is a thirty year county employee, he does have a defined benefit pension.

My question is this... Why does BobA think that a public safety employee potentially risking his life at low pay does NOT deserve to be able to retire after 30 years of service?

How long do public safety employees have to risk their lives before they "deserve" a retirement?

Thirty years is a long time of dedicated service to the county fire department.

Haughton 11 months ago

intentions to retire well before Christmas

discussing this well before Christmas

Within 30 minutes the last two comments said essentially the same thing. The more heresay and parroting that is injected, the more questions that arise. Thanks

Why_not 11 months ago

It's not heresay if its fact.....haha

JBSjgalt 11 months ago

Bill Myers is one of the nicest human beings I have ever met. He is truly honest and dedicated to serving others. And by the way, he served his country in the U.S. Navy on board the USS Kennedy before he started his 30 years with Gwinnett. He has saved more lives than most people meet in a day. The people of Gwinnett have no idea what an asset they are about to have leave. Most people take his work for granted but I do not. When your 3 year old daughter has stopped breathing and people like Bill show up at your door, every tax dollar that paid his salary and his retirement is money well spent. The Fire and Rescue department in Gwinnett is the one thing worth every penny.

John_Smith 11 months ago

My GOD, you morons can start an argument over the stupidest things!