Thompson to become new chief justice

Hugh P. Thompson

Hugh P. Thompson

ATLANTA -- The Georgia Supreme Court will have a new chief justice by Aug. 15, the court announced on Thursday.

Presiding Justice Hugh P. Thompson of Milledgeville was unanimously elected to a four-year term, succeeding Chief Justice Carol W. Hunstein. The chief justice presides over all oral arguments and leads meetings in which the court makes decisions. The chief justice also chairs the Georgia Judicial Council, which governs all levels of the state's courts. The chief justice is also the main spokesperson for the court and the entire judiciary.

The court also unanimously elected Justice P. Harris Hines to become the new presiding justice.

Thompson was appointed to the court in 1994 by Gov. Zell Miller. Thompson previously served as president of the statewide Council of Superior Court Judges.

A graduate of the Mercer University Law School, Thompson has received several awards throughout his career, including the Distinguished Achievement Award from Georgia College and State University and the Baldwin County Bar Association.

Hines previously served as Superior Court Judge in Cobb County for more than 12 years when Miller appointed him to the state Supreme Court in 1995.

Hines is an Atlanta native and graduated from Grady High School, Emory University and the Emory University Law School.

Thompson and his wife, Jane, have two grown sons, while Hines and his wife, Helen, have two grown children.

Both justices will be sworn into their new positions in a ceremony in the state Supreme Court courtroom on Aug. 15.

Comments

kevin 1 year, 3 months ago

"unanimously elected" by who? Come on GDP, tell us who got to vote. Why not the public?

Why_not 1 year, 3 months ago

All judges are appointed by the Governor. They then vote for the Chief Justice. I thought everyone knew that....just saying.

LoganvilleResident 1 year, 2 months ago

Georgia's Supreme Court Justices are elected by voters through nonpartisan statewide elections. You might want to educate yourself before you say someone else is dumber than a stump.

Why_not 1 year, 2 months ago

I made a huge mistake in my comment. Interim justices are appointed by the governor to fill vacancies but most are elected in non-partisan elections. My apologies.....

BuzzG 1 year, 2 months ago

Supposedly we live in a democracy. But we cannot vote on judges, garbage pick-up or sports stadiums. Politicians make the decisions they want and we get to vote on the rest.

suedehead 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree. That's why I research the candidates and vote for the person, not the party.

As an aside, GDP, will you please cease with these popup ads at the bottom of the screen. I understand revenue is necessary, but I don't need to have an ad pop up then slowly shrink every time I go to a new page.

Jan 1 year, 2 months ago

If you don't like popups then block popups. Its easy, just ask some tech savvy friend, probably some kids in your neighborhood would be glad to show you how.

Why_not 1 year, 2 months ago

I have my anti-virus program block pop-ups. Works like a charm.

Haughton 1 year, 2 months ago

suedehead, the popups you are talking about cannot be blocked. The AJC does this as well, and now they are making internet users pay to read certain articles and to comment. The media is getting desperate for money. Journalist is one of the top 'dead jobs'. Go figure.

LoganvilleResident 1 year, 2 months ago

You vote on Probate, Magistrate, State, Superior, Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court judges.