Lilburn blaze believed started in fireplace

LILBURN -- The blaze that destroyed a Lilburn home is believed to have originated in its fireplace.

Gwinnett County firefighters were called to the 300 block of Harmony Grove at about 6 p.m. Thursday, finding heavy smoke coming from the house and garage. Crews quickly found the fire on the first level around the fireplace, Lt. Colin Rhoden said, extinguishing the primary blaze before discovered fire extension into the chimney and a crawl space below.

"Firefighters made their way under the house into the crawl space and to the area where the fire spread," Rhoden said. "A fire attack hose line was brought under the house to put out the fire. Fire crews pulled the plaster off of the walls to search for any other hidden fire."

No injuries were reported, but one adult, two children and multiple dogs will be displaced, Rhoden said. Heavy damage was reported to the floor and walls of the home.

"The fire cause is believed to be accidental in nature because the place of the fire origin was where the resident stated that the fireplace was used the night before," Rhoden said.