Wednesday, March 27, 2013
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
SUGAR HILL -- A local man suffered second-degree burns Tuesday night when his propane tank exploded in a wooded area near Sugar Hill, officials said.
Gwinnett County firefighters were summoned to the area near the intersection of Suwanee Dam Road and Cumming Highway just after 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, the 911 caller reporting "a man in the woods surrounded by fire," spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden said. Crews found the man, whose name has not been released, suffering from second-degree burns to his hands, face and limbs when they arrived.
"Fire crews quickly treated the man and transported him to the hospital," Rhoden said. "Crews extinguished the spot fires caused by the incident."
Police and fire investigators both worked the scene.
"It is believed that a small sized propane tank exploded accidentally when it got close to an open fire that was set by the man," Rhoden said.