Tuesday, March 26, 2013
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE -- Two Gwinnett Medical Center employees and a delivery truck driver were transported to a hospital on Tuesday afternoon after a drum of liquid hydrofluoric acid spilled.
Gwinnett firefighters and a HazMat team were dispatched at 3:18 p.m. to the Springfield Park shopping center at 665 Duluth Highway. The spill was inside a Gwinnett Medical Center resource building, said Gwinnett Fire Lt. Colin Rhoden. The resource building is a warehouse located across the street from the hospital.
Rhoden said about a gallon and a half of a 40 pound, five gallon drum spilled. The substance is typically used for heavy cleaning, Rhoden said.
In fully encapsulated level "A" suits, HazMat crews found a product leaned over and leaking on the truck, Rhoden said.
GMC spokeswoman Beth Okun said the drum on the independent delivery truck was bound for a separate location.
The people who were exposed went through a decontamination process at GMC as a precaution, Okun said.
Fire crews left the scene at about 6 p.m., while a HazMat cleaning crew cleared the area.