Cops: Used car dealer drag raced in front of Duluth PD

Michael Rodriguez

Michael Rodriguez

DULUTH -- Question: You're the owner of a used car lot, and you've just bought a Corvette. You've got a BMW-driving pal with you. You want to have a drag race, but where?

Answer: In front of the nearest police department, apparently.

Michael Rodriguez, the 42-year-old owner of Duluth's A Lot of Used Cars car lot, was arrested Friday night and charged with racing, improper use of dealer tags and improper stopping on roadway. The Duluth police officer who arrested him and alleged racing counterpart Jun Suk Lee didn't have to go far -- his department is headquartered about one-third of a mile down Buford Highway.

According to the official incident report, the responding officer was sitting in the parking lot of the Duluth Police Department just before 5:30 p.m. Friday when he saw Rodriguez's Corvette and Lee's BMW M3 stop, line up next to each other and take off "at a very high rate of speed." The officer gave a very brief chase, spotting the Corvette turning into Rodriguez's lot just down the road -- the BMW was "pretty far behind," presumably losing the race.

When confronted, Rodriguez allegedly handed the officer an ATM card rather than a driver's license, saying that they "had only taken off fast." He later asked a second officer if he was going to "get off with a warning because we're neighbors," the report said.

It was also uncovered that Rodriguez was improperly using dealer tags for his vehicles because he didn't technically own them," authorities said.

Rodriguez "told me that he didn't own any of the cars on his lot, and that a bank did. He purchases cars on a 'flow plan' meaning that he owes money to the bank once the car is sold," the report said.

Rodriguez, a Suwanee resident, was arrested and charged before being released on $891.75 bond.

Comments

Why_not 1 year ago

You can't fix stupid.....Here's your sign.

R 1 year ago

You mean the sales tag line “Cocaine with every sale” didn’t fly?

I’m sure he apologized if he offended any of his supporters…

NewsReader 1 year ago

You got that right. This guy is a special kind of stupid!

Gundoctor1 1 year ago

What an idiot. Here's your warning moron, don't do this again. 30 days!!!!!! ha ha

SuxBeanU 1 year ago

I DON'T THINK THEY WERE DRAG RACING, DRAG RACING IS A SAFE ORGANIZED SPORT AND TO DO THAT WOULD REQUIRE A DRAG STRIP LIKE IN COMMERCE. THESE CLOWNS WERE STREET RACING, BIG DIFFERENCE. DRAG RACING IS AN ORGANIZED SPORT, STREET RACING IS NOT A SPORT,IT IS AN ILLEGAL ACTIVITY. WHY DEGRADE THE SPORT OF DRAG RACING JUST TO SENSATIONALISE YOUR STORY? WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY THEY WERE SPRINT CUP RACING?

Why_not 1 year ago

"Drag" racing is a generic term. I think we all l knew what the story was about....also....what's up with all the capital letters?

DonPedro_SanGomez_de_Martinez 1 year ago

Please let me know what bank this is. I would like to have this "flow plan" with my home. I can live in it and use it all I want, then only pay the bank when I sell it. Seems legit.

Why_not 1 year ago

I believe they may have meant "floor plan". Many years ago I worked at an appliance/tv retailer that used the same plan. It allows retailers to obtain inventory without the huge up-front outlay. the credit institution periodically comes and does an inventory aNd payment is due on sold merchandise. After 30 days or so, interest is charges on all items present but not sold. It's fine as long as you turn the inventory over within a month or so.

DonPedro_SanGomez_de_Martinez 1 year ago

That sounds better, but I don't think they would want you using the merchandise for fun and games, like drag racing, uh I mean STREET RACING.

I just like how he tried to get off with a warning, being neighbors and all with the police department. Nice try Senor Rodriguez!