Saturday, March 23, 2013
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
BUFORD -- Firefighters stayed busy early Saturday morning with two early morning incidents in northern Gwinnett County.
At about 6:30 a.m., crews responded to a house fire at 5320 Sycamore Road in Buford, where a caller had reported seeing flames coming from the top of the chimney.
Firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the home upon arrival, according to Capt. Tommy Rutledge.
Rutledge said crews quickly extinguished the fire, which appeared to be accidental and likely originated from the fireplace. The blaze caused moderate damage to the home. Two people and several pets were displaced due to the damage, but no injuries were reported. The American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance.
In a separate incident, firefighters responded at about 7:30 a.m. to a house fire at 3251 Camp Branch Road, Buford. A caller reported that lightning struck the home, and crews found smoke and flames coming from the home upon arrival.
"It appeared that lightning hit a nearby shed on the property, then ran inside the residence via an electrical line," Rutledge said. The fire caused minor damage to contents inside an attached garage, but did not damage the home itself. The shed was totally destroyed and the grass around it was scorched.
No injuries were reported.