0

YMCA fire confined to men's bathroom

Staff Photo: Keith Farner Firefighters responded to a report from employees of a fire in the bathroom at the YMCA in Lawrenceville.

Staff Photo: Keith Farner Firefighters responded to a report from employees of a fire in the bathroom at the YMCA in Lawrenceville.

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Gwinnett firefighters praised the actions of a YMCA employee who doused a small fire on Tuesday afternoon.

The incident occurred in a men's bathroom in a back corner of the building at 2985 Sugarloaf Parkway in Lawrenceville. About 50 people were evacuated, and it was confined to an exhaust fan and bathroom vent, Gwinnett Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.

Firefighters were dispatched at 3:04 p.m., and found a small, smoldering fire.

"The fire was contained to the exhaust fan unit and did not spread," Rutledge said. "The fire sent smoke throughout the bathroom area, but no fire damage."

Rutledge said a wellness coach of the YMCA used a portable extinguisher as people were evacuated.

"The YMCA staff quickly sounded the alarm and put their evacuation plan into action," Rutledge said. "They really did a good job and their actions helped to calm the situation."

The smoke was cleared, and patrons returned to the facility in about 30 minutes, Rutledge said.