Tripp makes more progress

It was the 11th surgery for Tripp Halstead, but the first time his mother figured he knew what was going on.

Stacy wrote on Facebook on Monday that her son, "never looked at me and Bill before like he did, and he has never cried when they wheeled him away from us into the (operating room) and he did today. It totally broke my heart."

The procedure was to re-insert a shunt in his head, and remove drains that took fluid off of the toddler's brain. Halstead also had Botox injected into his legs, which was to make them more flexible and would help if the toddler is able to walk again, his father Bill wrote.

"I am sure he needs rest today, but tomorrow I can't wait to hold him without having to line up the drains from his head," Stacy wrote.

The good news is a return home is being discussed for the first time in nearly two months. Halstead was originally scheduled to leave Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite in early February, but a series of setbacks led to several more surgeries.

"He is on his way, infection is gone, shunt is in and antibiotics will be done soon!!," Stacy wrote on the Facebook page "Tripp Halstead Updates."

Doctors may schedule a Thursday procedure to insert a device in the toddler's stomach to deliver food and medicine, his mother wrote.

"Then we will be ready for home whenever they give us the ok," Stacy wrote. "Very exciting!!!"

The family is about a week-and-a-half shy of the five-month mark since the toddler was injured by a heavy tree limb that fell on him outside his Barrow County daycare on Oct. 29.


DonPedro_SanGomez_de_Martinez 2 years, 6 months ago

I know this terrible tragedy has been and continues to be an incredible emotional journey for this family. I cannot comprehend the pain and suffering this young man has gone through. He is much stronger than I could ever be. He gives me hope, strengthens my faith, and is a true inspiration.

You my little friend are a gift from God. You are my hero!


Sign in to comment