Breaking News

First U.S. Ebola case confirmed September 30, 2014

Carmike to add second theater in Snellville

SNELLVILLE -- A second Carmike Cinemas theater is coming to Snellville, and will feature a screen that's nearly 80 feet tall and projects 34 million colors.

An official with the Columbus-based company said Wednesday that construction would begin shortly, but a specific date depends on permits issued for construction. Once construction begins, the theater could open in nine to 10 months, weather permitting, said Carmike Cinemas director of marketing Terrell Mayton.

The new Carmike will be located at the corner of Scenic Highway near Webb Gin House Road, about two miles from the other Carmike theater.

"It's a great location, we've been in Snellville for many, many years," Mayton said. "It's a growing area in the greater metro area and region."

Mayton said the area could sustain two theaters because of recent population growth, home construction and retail expansion.

After construction, and adjusted seasonally, Mayton said the movie theater typically employees between 30 and 50 people.

Carmike 13 will be an anchor tenant of a 43-acre multi-use development, directly across the street from the new "The Avenue" retail complex.

The movie complex will have 13 screens and plans to accommodate more than 2,800 people with stadium-style seating, rocking luxury seats with retractable armrests.

Instead of a box office setup, Mayton said it would have a "fast-pass" lobby with one-stop ticketing, and Coca-Cola Freestyle drink centers.

The featured auditorium will be the "BIGD," which Mayton said has a screen that is three and a half stories tall, or nearly 80 feet, and projects 34 million colors. There are only 17 "BIGD" auditoriums in the country, Mayton said, and this one seats nearly 600.

Comments

suedehead 1 year, 6 months ago

I think it's cool Snellville is getting this theatre, but I doubt Carmike will keep the old one open. The industry is struggling and there's no point, the building is obsolete by todays standard. What's funny is Mayton's comment that the area could sustain two theatres. Well, it already does. Carmike and Regal on 78. I'm assuming he means the area can sustain two Carmikes and ZERO Regal, which I'm sure is a goal.

Which brings me to this...why didn't our "leaders" in Snellville work with Carmike to locate the project where redevelopment is desperately needed...say Wisteria Square. I guess the "incentive" wasn't there for the city. I wonder who owns the land where it is being built. Why redevelop when you can bulldoze more land for more tax revenue? More of the same ol same ol. As 78 turns into another Memorial Dr, so shall 124 in 15 years.

cwkimbro 1 year, 6 months ago

I think the new Sugarloaf pkwy extension, which is a limited access freeway to 316 just solidified the 124 corridor as the place to shop for future new-build neighborhoods in central and east Gwinnett for at least the next 2 decades. Webb Gin ends just a large arterial block from the start of the new freeway. The good is a lot in the area will stay open. It will shift ground zero closer to Sugarloaf and Webb Gin. Since The Avenue is a big pull, I think that will keep the area busy. I think Carmike understands the value to getting that future growth and keep competition away from the best location. The bad is Regal will take a hit... We went there and I couldn't believe how small some of the subdivided theaters have gotten, but the parking lot wasn't empty.

I fully expect to see more retail building along 124 between Webb Ginn and Sugarloaf as the economy picks up. I'm pretty sure that is what is going on with the location.

JohnPDunn 1 year, 6 months ago

On a number of points I agree with suedehead. Snellville can, in fact, support two theaters. It has for a number of years. I doubt it can support three. When this was announced last week I assumed the existing Carmike would simply move to the new location. The current theater set up is obsolete in design in an industry that is moving toward stadium seating and dine-in moving viewing. I doubt the city had much to do with the decision. The new site is located outside of the city limits. The Avenues, frankly, is a more upscale area to locate.

I will disagree on the 78 comment. I drive it daily. It's not Park Avenue, but it is also not Memorial Drive. With the exception of the old Cub Foods site, all commercial anchor space is filled, and with fine businesses.

DavidBrown 1 year, 6 months ago

John, the city of Snellville is currently in negotiations to annex the area where the new Carmike will be.

SurelyNot 1 year, 6 months ago

Rather than see the city of Snellville annex the property (what advantage is there to citizens?) I would to see the county provide incentives for development that Fayette County has. Fayette is doing a great job attracting huge new businesses that will result in many, many jobs...and interesting ones at that i. e. Pinewood Studios Atlanta and converting an existing empty elementary school into a satellite SCAD. Fayette thinks creatively--one of metro Atlanta's best kept secrets...that and Coweta...great stuff happening south of metro.

Haughton 1 year, 6 months ago

This is exciting news for the Snellville area. That shopping corridor is the 3rd busiest in the county with Mall of GA being # 1, then followed by Discover Mills.

You cannot compare Gwinnett to Fayette. We are much more urban and do not have the wiggle room to entice devolopers to do what we want them to. The growth and income demographics say this is the place they need to be. You cannot force developers to go to 78 or else as they will go elsewhere or not come at all. The existing Carmike space will not work, the parcel is too small and it is locked in. In all honesty I eventually see Regal Oaks and the existing Carmike shutting down. You cannot retrofit most buildings it is cheaper to bulldoze and build to suit.

Carmike was considering Loganville at one point but his area won out. Again these businesses go where they want to go and where they can make money. This is just one business and more will come to the 124 / Avenues corridor.

SurelyNot 1 year, 6 months ago

You are right, Haughton, I guess you cannot compare the two. Gwinnett/Snellville missed its/their opps about 20 years ago.

It is a shame we are a throw away society. Losing Regal and the current Carmike will be another blot on GC. Not saying the biggest, newest and best is bad entertainment, but GC/Snelville do not have the knack for much repurposing.

I will, however, say I wish Snellville could be as savvy/progressive as Suwanee and Duluth.

Haughton 1 year, 6 months ago

It's not like the existing Carmike is on the Historic Register or landmark building. It is a great parcel for someone in the future. With the cut thru traffic, it is a great location. In all honesty the Regal Oaks is dirty and old. I don't think they care and will squeeze ever last profitable dollar til they are forced to shut down.

It is nice to see there is still viable interest in that area. With the growth and shift in northern Gwinnett one would hope southern Gwinnett is doing everything they can to play nice and keep that area alive.

Highway 78 is not dead it is a mjr route between Atlanta and Athens. I do believe that gives them the incentive not to let it turn into the next Memorial Dr. Grocery stores like the Walmart market, gas stations, and chain fast food in the right places will continue to keep that stretch alive in some form. I noticed not long ago that there are car dealerships moving closer to Snellville from Stone Mtn on 78.