Buford consignment store to have Tripp Halstead fundraiser

Tripp Halstead

Tripp Halstead

BUFORD -- The owner of a Buford consignment store, who happens to count the Halstead family as customers, has followed the story of the Winder toddler since last fall.

She's also among the nearly 100 people who have put on fundraisers for Tripp Halstead's family as the 2-year-old recovers from a brain injury suffered on Oct. 29. Mary Campbell, owner of Kid to Kid, will have her second fundraiser to support the Halsteads at 10 a.m. on Saturday at her store at 3125 Woodward Crossing Blvd.

Bill Halstead, Tripp's father, said he estimates there have been between 75 and 100 fundraisers for the family.

The event will have games, a children's carnival, a bounce house, face painting, a silent auction, and all Kid to Kid stores around the Atlanta area will donate 10 percent of sales to the Halstead family. A catered lunch is also available for $5 per person for 100 people.

Event planner Dawn Cowart of Traditionally Modern Wedding and Events said the store had a smaller fundraiser soon after Halstead's injury, and this time they hope to pack the parking lot with several hundred people.

"I asked, and people said 'yes,'" Campbell said, "Tripp is just such a special kid, and the Halsteads are customers of my store. We want to do everything we can to help."

Among the items available at the silent auction are a bedroom suite from Rooms To Go, a weekend getaway to Callaway Gardens and original pieces of art.

"It truly touched on the hearts of quite a few people, he's so little, he's having a hard time," Cowart said. "We keep thinking it's going to be an ongoing thing forever as he gets older. The parents have so many more expenses other than medical."

Holly Ranney, from the Roswell nonprofit Sunshine on a Ranney Day, which is remodeling the Halsteads' new home, is also expected to attend the fundraiser, Cowart said.

Stacy Halstead wrote on Facebook on Tuesday that her son would have a G-J Tube inserted in his stomach on Wednesday that doctors hope cuts down on his vomiting. Ongoing vomiting has been one of the issues doctors have struggled to resolve in the last several weeks.

Doctors initially wanted to do the procedure on Tuesday, but Stacy postponed it.

"I told them 'Not today," she wrote. "This is the first good day he has had in forever and we both want to enjoy it. So he will have this done first thing in the morning."

The only bad news on Tuesday was doctors still found bacteria in his cerebrospinal fluid.