'Suicide by cop' possible in park ranger shooting

Staff Photo: Todd Cline — A park ranger was shot at the Lower Overlook of Buford Dam Park on Wednesday night.

BUFORD — Authorities believe the woman who shot a park ranger near the Buford Dam Wednesday night may have been attempting to commit “suicide by cop.”

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Park Ranger D.P. Wright, 70, was reportedly preparing to close the Lower Overlook area of Buford Dam Park at about 10 p.m. Wednesday when he noticed a woman sitting in a passenger car. Wright approached the vehicle to tell her the park was closed, Gwinnett County police spokesman Cpl. Jake Smith said.

“The woman produced a handgun and fired one shot, striking Wright in the abdomen,” Smith said. “Wright escaped on foot toward the entrance of the Lower Overlook area,” securing the gate behind him and stopping a car driving down Buford Dam Road to call 911.

“The ranger was able to give a statement to the officers before he was transported from the scene by ambulance,” Smith said.

Gwinnett County officers arrived on scene shortly and located the suspect vehicle — only to find the alleged shooter, 34-year-old Qiana Moore of Woodstock, dead inside. Authorities believe she committed suicide. A handgun was also found inside the car.

“Detectives are considering the possibility that Moore was attempting a ‘suicide by cop,’” Smith said. “Wright’s appearance in his park ranger uniform is similar to that of a police officer.”

Wright, though, was not armed.

Wright was taken to a local hospital where he remained Thursday. He is expected to survive his injuries, police said.

A call to the Army Corps of Engineers’ Lake Lanier office was not immediately returned.

Return to www.gwinnettdailypost.com for updates.

Map

Lower Overlook at Buford Dam Park

Lower Overlook at Buford Dam Park

Comments

NewsReader 1 year, 4 months ago

Well, I wish this Park Ranger a speedy and full recovery! I'm glad he was able to get help.

rco1847 1 year, 4 months ago

Get well and know we're hoping for a quick recovery.

Gundoctor1 1 year, 3 months ago

Nope! Not suicide by cop, and if it was an attempted one, find a cop or several with a gun.....

DonPedro_SanGomez_de_Martinez 1 year, 3 months ago

What a bizarre story. Suicide by cop usually means you point the gun at an officer with the hope they will shoot you. The fact that she actually pulled the trigger and shot at the Ranger seems inconsistent with a suicide by cop attempt. I’m happy the Ranger will be okay, even if the circumstances around the event seem odd.

Veryconcernedcitizen 1 year, 3 months ago

So if the circumstances around the event were not odd would you still be happy about the Ranger being okay? Also explain a normal situation where a Ranger would get shot? I just assumed anytime an unarmed person gets shot by a crazy lady is odd.

DonPedro_SanGomez_de_Martinez 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, I would still be happy the Ranger is okay. Unless he had something to do with the woman’s death, which isn’t the case here. My whole point was to me it is odd that authorities were thinking it may have been an attempt of suicide by cop, when in my opinion, by shooting at the Ranger and attempting to kill him that is not suicide by cop. She already had the weapon and means to kill herself, she did not need an officer to do that. My thinking of suicide by cop is someone that doesn’t have a gun and uses a toy gun or something similar to “trick” the officer into shooting them.

I may be way off and I do not have all the details but from just reading this article I’m more inclined to think the crazy lady was simply set on killing herself in the park and when confronted because the park was closed she shot him so she could continue on and do her thing. Who knows…like I said, it’s a bizarre story. No ill will at all toward the 70 year old Ranger. I pray Mr. Wright has a speedy recovery.

suedehead 1 year, 3 months ago

I, too, hope the Ranger recovers fully. Though there is no reason for her shooting him, I feel bad for this woman's family. I'm sure these people are in pain over the loss of someone they loved and upset at her actions prior to taking her own life. Maybe she did have issues. But, not knowing anything about her, or the circumstance that drove her to do this, I'll reserve calling her crazy out of respect for her family.

kachinacarr 1 year, 3 months ago

My sympathy goes out to both the ranger and the young lady. We are all so quick to judge but we all will never know exactly what happened unless the event was recorded. So like the last person posted lets have respect for her family and not call her crazy. We live in a very tough world and some people just cant handle everyday life.