Tuesday, June 25, 2013
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
SUWANEE -- Fire officials believe a blaze that caused heavy damage to a Suwanee home was ignited by a faulty power cord.
Gwinnett County firefighters were called to the 1500 block of Andrew Hill Court at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, a caller reporting "heavy black smoke" in the house. Once on the scene, crews battled the fire while completing two searches and extinguishing hot spots, department spokesman Lt. Colin Rhoden said.
The majority of the blaze was contained in the garage and the room above, Rhoden said, but the entire home sustained heavy fire and smoke damage. One resident was treated for a minor burn injury.
"Gwinnett arson determined that the fire was accidental in nature and was caused by a faulty light duty electrical cord that was used to power an appliance in the garage," Rhoden said.
A smoke alarm alerted the residents -- two adults and two minors -- to the fire, officials said. The family will be displaced but did not require Red Cross assistance, Rhoden said.