Immigration enforcement program extended for three years

LAWRENCEVILLE -- After about 10,000 illegal immigrants have been detained in the county jail, commissioners approved an extension of a federal immigration enforcement agreement.

Officials approved a three-year renewal of the sheriff's participation in the 287(g) program, which allows local deputies to begin deportation proceedings on illegal immigrants arrested in Gwinnett.

"I think it has been a success for public safety," Chief Deputy Mike Boyd said, adding that in the program's first year, 4,000 fewer foreign-born inmates were booked into the county jail.

Commissioners first approved the county's entrance into the program in April 2008, and it was fully implemented in November 2009. Since then, Boyd said, 20,000 interviews have been conducted, and about 10,000 people, representing 22,000 crimes, have been detained.

Comments

notblind 1 year, 3 months ago

22,000 crimes that should never have occurred. Thank you Uncle Sam. I am glad to know you have my back.

notblind 1 year, 3 months ago

Also, think of this. That's 22,000 crimes just here in Gwinnett. How many other locales are there with a large illegal alien population like Gwinnett has ?? Many hundreds of US counties are similarly affected. The nationwide number of crimes perpetrated by illegal aliens has to be staggering. The cost to the local taxpayer to apprehend, detain, transport, adjudicate, etc is also similarly staggering.

DB 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree. This program wouldn't be needed if other laws had been enforced. Porous ports and borders make for disrespectful neighbors.

DonPedro_SanGomez_de_Martinez 1 year, 3 months ago

I filled out all the forms. I paid all the fees. I waited in line!

I love my adopted country and the government has some blame, but it starts with the individual. Come here legally or stay out! These numbers are a disgrace and an embarrassment. How many man hours did it take to conduct 20,000 interviews? 22,000 crimes that were actually caught, just think how many actually occurred! And I don't want to think about a true total dollar amount this cost the taxpayers of Gwinnett County.

I realize not all illegal immigrants are violent criminals. Many do their best to contribute to society and are kind, caring people with much respect for this country and its people. Many are simply bettering their lives by coming here. But I also think many do not realize the burden they are placing on the citizens of this country and how disrespectful they are being to the many of us immigrants who came here legally. Again, the federal government has a lot of blame for being such good enablers and not properly enforcing existing laws, but each individual must take it upon themselves to obey ALL laws of this country. That includes a very important one about entering it.

Karl 1 year, 3 months ago

Excellent comments DonPedro, thanks.

Linda 1 year, 3 months ago

DonPedro, I think you have said it all! Very much to the point.

notblind 1 year, 3 months ago

The other incredibly bad thing about this illegal alien mess is the backlash against all hispanics. Even the ones with ancestors living here from the earliest days of this country have to be tired of the increased scrutiny on hispanics. Just another part of the elites divide and conquer strategy.