Man dies in crash during Duluth police chase

DULUTH — A Flowery Branch man died Saturday after leading police on a high-speed chase, officials said.

According to information from the Duluth and Gwinnett County police departments, 28-year-old Jeremy Carr Kelly was driving on Pleasant Hill Road near Shorty Howell Park when a license plate reader determined the tag on the Nissan Maxima he was driving to be stolen. When a Duluth police officer attempted to make a traffic stop, Kelly reportedly sped off.

“Kelly ran numerous red lights, drove at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour and eventually drove northbound oin the southbound lane on Peachtree Industrial Blvd.,” Duluth police spokesman Maj. Don Woodruff said.

While driving the wrong way on Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Kelly slammed head-on into an SUV driven by 49-year-old Duluth resident Dawn Smith. Jose Montes, 21, of Norcross was reportedly traveling behind her and, unable to stop, hit her from the rear.

“Mr. Kelly died on scene as a result of the injuries he sustained from the collision,” Gwinnett County police spokesman Cpl. Edwin Ritter said. “Ms. Smith and Mr. Montes were both transported to Gwinnett Medical Center for treatment of serious non-life threatening injuries.”

Officers attempted to use “stop sticks” during the chase but weren’t able to get into position because of Kelly’s high speeds, Woodruff said. The crash occured at Peachtree Industrial Blvd. and Peachtree Crest Drive.

“The Gwinnett County Police Accident Investigation Unit continues to investigate this accident,” Ritter said.

Comments

HomeTeam4Life 9 months, 1 week ago

I think the Gwinnett Daily Post needs to investigate the story some more before they publish false information. He was NOT DRIVING A STOLEN CAR!!! He was a good man who died far too young. He has a family and many friends that love him very much that are dealing with his death have some respect. Check your information before you publish it.

Kat 9 months ago

Hmmm, then why did he flee from the authorities?

Veryconcernedcitizen 9 months ago

Yeah, a great man who likes to do 100 mph and run from the cops! I love no matter how big of a turd someone is in life when they die their loved ones try to make them out to be saints. The story states that the TAG on the Nissan Maxima was stolen. I think HomeTeam4Life owes GDP an apology! Read the story carefully goofball!

DonPedro_SanGomez_de_Martinez 9 months ago

Mr. Kelley may have been a good man, but he made a terrible decision that day. I have no respect or sympathy for those that run from the police for any reason and put innocent lives in danger. Dawn and Jose now have to deal with their serious physical injuries, their crashed automobiles, as well as the tough mental aspect of being involved in a serious accident, all for something that didn’t have to happen and was the direct result of this young man’s very poor decision. They have family and friends that have to deal with this too!

It is very sad this young man lost his life. But again it is a result of his own actions and my respect and sympathy stops there. His family will mourn and struggle with the loss of a loved one, as they should. I pray God gives them peace. And my prayers extend to the others involved as well.

garesident 9 months ago

HomeTeam4Life-I think you need to accept the fact that Mr. Kelley committed a crime and if he wasn't in a stolen vehicle then there should of been no reason to flee. Not only did he kill himself but in the process he left 2 people injured and if he had children then now they have to grow up without a father b/c he made a very very bad decision.

Veryconcernedcitizen 9 months ago

So in other words what you are saying is that the world is a better place now?

gwinnettresident1 9 months ago

I think that is what is being said

garesident 9 months ago

The sad thing is that he didn't think about his family...if he had kids...he didn't think about them at all. Now his family has to deal with the pain and his kids have to be explained to that their dad did a very irresponsible thing. The people that he hit in the process will have to deal with the pain of recovering from a terrible accident and now Mr. Kelley is gone so nobody can get answers from him as to why he was even fleeing from the cops if he wasn't doing anything wrong.

Concernedbyucitizens 9 months ago

How would you possibly know if its a better or not. You people sit back with your head up your a## with no clue about the real world. Wait till the tides turn and yours that passed is disrespected.

drdata 9 months ago

I saw this about the time it started. That man may have been a little angel but he was driving like an idiot. The road was very crowded. He was driving TOO fast and weaving in and out of traffic and even through unfinished road on the other side of construction cones. This was leading up to McClure Bridge. How he got through the light there I will never know. This behavior was very dangerous. He came very close to hitting me and on the driver's side. I could be in the hospital now.

As it was, I was pretty sure he was going to kill someone and told a friend that. Sadly, I was right. What is sadder is hurting those two other people.

Kat 9 months ago

When my tag was stolen from my vehicle I was told by the police to get a new one, not a replacement. Reason being they treat a stolen tag just like a stolen vehicle. After seeing the dash cam video on the news I wonder if the police should have pulled back and notified agencies where he was heading. The fleeing man did have a number of mug shots, but none that looked recent. I do feel bad for his family too. You have no control over what a grown family member chooses to do. The injured people have more than bodily injury, they will be hurt finacially too.

gwinnettresident1 9 months ago

He had no concern for anyone on the road that day...Angel (maybe) but he could have killed one or more children in his wild ride. If he is such a good boy why didnt he just stop and take what ever was coming. I dont understand how anyone on this page can defend him or his actions.