Atlanta Mayor releases statement on Zimmerman verdict

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed released a statement regarding the State of Florida vs. George Zimmerman Ruling on Saturday night.

The statement reads:

"The genuine tragedy of the Trayvon Martin case is that a mother and father lost their son senselessly. I find it troubling that a 17-year-old cannot walk to a corner store for candy without putting his life in danger. I find it more troubling that a citizen could not see a young African-American youth without immediately concluding that he was up to no good.

While I disagree with the jury's verdict, we must respect it. This case reminds me why my number one priority as Mayor is public safety. I work every day to create a safer city where our sworn police officers are trained and equipped to effectively uphold the law, so that our residents feel secure in their neighborhoods and our diverse communities respect each other. The death of Trayvon Martin shows that we must all work harder to shed the dangerous stereotypes that can have devastating consequences for individuals, families and our society."

Comments

kayak 9 months, 1 week ago

statistics kasim, read the crime statistics.... When are black leaders going to step up and take responsibility for the very "conclusion" you speak of as being so "troubling?" This is the perception (reality) black americans have created for themselves.

notblind 9 months, 1 week ago

I don't guess Mr. Reed puts any credence in the finding of break-in tools and loot in Martin's backpack at his school.

notblind 9 months ago

Hey Kasim - read this. ............................................ “There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” ― Jesse Jackson

notblind 9 months ago

I read an article where the author called the Kasim Reeds, Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharpton's, et all the BGI. Black Grievance Industry. I guess I need to add Barrack Obama to that list.

FordGalaxy 9 months ago

The state over-charged George Zimmerman. There was never enough evidence for second-degree murder to stick. It was obvious that the prosecution was grasping for straws when they started talking about bringing child abuse charges.

Here's the thing with the Stand Your ground law...if Zimmerman continued his pursuit of Martin, then Stand Your Ground does not apply, as Zimmerman is the aggressor. The police reports, and the evidence, seem to show that Zimmerman broke of his pursuit when the police requested (not ordered or instructed) that he not follow. Zimmerman was actually returning to his vehicle (according to his statement and the apparent background sounds on his call with the police). The evidence seems to say that Martin turned around and confronted Zimmerman. Since Zimmerman retreated, that would make Martin the agressor, and Stand Your Ground would then apply.

But no, Mayor Reed, the sudden plethora of Facebook Lawyers and Twitter Paralegals have spoken. It's obvious that Zimmerman was a blatant racist simply looking for a black kid so he could shoot him.

LilburnsFuture 9 months ago

You can replace 17 year old with a 17/18 year old freshman.

I find it troubling that a Georgia State or Georgia Tech student cannot walk to a corner store for candy without putting his [or her] life in danger.

The death of Trayvon Martin is an absolute tragety. What is also sad is that both felt that they had to resort to violence.

notblind 9 months ago

I'm wondering if the break-ins in Zimmerman's neighborhood have ended ? Anybody stop to consider that possibly TM actually was the guy doing it ? Just like Wayne Williams. Once they locked him up all the murders ceased.

Haughton 9 months ago

I doubt things have changed much since then. Zimmerman's neighborhood is very typical of a FL housing bust (townhomes orig. $250K now at/below $100K) where renters equal or outnumber homeowners and crime is very high.

kevin 9 months ago

Sorry Mr Mayor. Your opinion is worthless since you did NOT sit on the jury and make an intelligent decision. Racial comments are typical for your situation. One has to protect his "base."

NewsReader 9 months ago

I'm just wondering why Kasim Reed et al, feel so compelled to weigh in and comment as if anybody really gives a damn what their opinion is. And quite frankly, the only reason people are responding in kind is because of their insistence to do so.

Our system of justice isn't perfect, but it is the best justice system in the world. And whether you agree with the outcome or not, you do not have nearly the all the facts that the juror(s) had before them. There are many questionable verdicts out there like O.J. Simpson, Micheal Jackson, and Casey Anthony just to name a few. But criminal trial is "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" rather than "a preponderance of the evidence", and for good reason.

I don't question the juror(s) verdict. I accept it whether I happen to agree with it or not. And if the Prosecution went to trial ill prepared, shame on them. They only get one shot at it, so it is paramount that they have all of their 'i's dotted and their 't's crossed.

John5214 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Kasim and Roddy will be in the same jail cell someday. Just give it time.