Woman killed in I-85 wreck ID'd; no charges filed

LAWRENCEVILLE -- The woman who died on Interstate 85 near Duluth on Monday afternoon has been identified as 34-year-old Rabia Adnan. The tractor-trailer driver who allegedly triggered the wreck that caused her death has not been charged with a crime.

Adnan -- her identity released Tuesday by the Gwinnett County Medical Examiner's Office -- was reportedly riding in her family's Nissan Pathfinder down I-85 south at about 1:20 p.m. Monday when the tractor-trailer to her left began to merge into the lane. The SUV was forced out of the lane and into the side of a box truck.

The Pathfinder then shot off the interstate near Steve Reynolds Boulevard, flipped multiple times and ejected Adnan, who was riding in the front passenger seat. It flipped over the guardrail and landed on the onramp.

Adnan, a Duluth resident, later died. The adult man driving the Pathfinder and two child passengers -- presumed to be her family -- were taken to the hospital and are expected to survive.

The driver of the tractor-trailer, whose identity has not been released, did not stop at the scene of the crash but was located Monday at his original Cobb County destination. He has been interviewed by police, but, as of Tuesday, was not facing any criminal charges.

"The truck driver was questioned and has not been charged with anything," Gwinnett County police spokesman Cpl. Edwin Ritter said. "Investigators are following up on all leads."

The driver of the box truck did remain at the scene and cooperated with the investigation, police said. He was not injured.

Comments

JimmyOrr 1 year, 4 months ago

As one who spent 48 years in public utility construction (plus two years in our U.S. Army) and one whose trademark statement on SAFETY has always been: "That if I am going to err, I will do so on the side of caution," I have to ask the question why no charges were filed in this accident which resulted in a fatality? As I drive on our interstate system in Gwinnett County I frequently see the posted signs advising me that when passing a tractor-trailer how much space I have to allow before I can cut back in. I have to wonder if the reason no charges have been filed is that the vehicle was in the driver of the tractor-trailer so called "blind spot." If so, shouldn't the princilpal of reversal apply as same as it does to me when passing a tractor-trailer in that the driver of the tractor-trailer should not merge over until he/she is absolutely certain that he/she has an entire field of vision as to other vehicles which are in the lane before merging? Accidents such as this remind me of why I detest lobbyist. If the truth be known, it was lobbyist lobbying for the trucking industry which initiated changes in weight restrictions, tractor/trailer length, etc. allowing these mammouths, WHICH SHOULD BE ON RAILS, to traverse our roadways and interstates. I am always amused when I get behind a tractor-trailer and see the decal on the rear of the trailer which reads: "This vehicle pays $8000.00 dollars a year in taxes." I say to myself: "Yes, and that vehicle also probably tears up $800,000.00 dollars a year in roadway infrastructure." Especially on our local roadways which were not designed to accommodate tractor-trailers. One only has to ride throughout our county to notice the damage to curbs and catch basins at intersections which a tractor-trailer could not effectively negotiate. I remember there was a time when all tractor-trailer trucks went to a terminal location where their manifest was offloaded onto local delivery trucks for dispersement. Next time a politician asks you for your vote, ask them point blank will they support the rank & file or will they concede to the lobbying community which is fueled by big money. In closing, my sympathy goes out to the family of this dear lady.

Linda 1 year, 4 months ago

I can't count how many times I have been cutoff by the trucks on I-85. They drivers don't seem to look or care about who may be driving in the lane they just move over. I think it's ridiculous to have a sign on the back of these trucks about safety, they don't know what is means!

JimmyOrr 1 year, 4 months ago

@ Linda, I could not agree with you more. The one location you need to exercise extra caution at is on I-85 South at Spaghetti Junction when the tractor-trailers leave I-85 to get onto I-285.

Fredia 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm hoping they've not made up their mind and that charges will follow. Why wouldn't they? He changed lanes, I would think illegally since there was a vehicle occupying the lane he forced himself into. And, he didn't stop after hitting the vehicle? Hit & run no longer a crime? What idiot made this decision?

SuxBeanU 1 year, 4 months ago

Don't be so quick to blame the truck driver, having driven a big rig for over 10 years one has to understand that a big rig is not as nimble as a car or suv, they cannot stop on a dime and it's very hard to see all that takes place around them. With all the vehicles on the road today driving is a give and take situation. Don't always assume that you are right and the other guy is wrong.just because you put on you turn signal to change lanes doesn't mean that you are free to move over.Com'on people use the golden rule out there on the roads.

dentaldawg83 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm guessing speeding and lack of seatbelt wear played a huge part of this. Especially with the bigrigs tendency to drive too fast and change lanes quickly, one has to allow a lot of room not to tangle with one of those monsters, not decide to race it down the interstate.

FordGalaxy 1 year, 4 months ago

Just a question on technicality: Did the tractor-trailer actually make contact with the Pathfinder? If not, is it really a "hit & run?" Please note that I'm not excusing anyone. I'm just trying to understand the definition of the law.

Haughton 1 year, 4 months ago

A horrible tragedy for this family.

There is no mention of a seatbelt being worn by the victim. Another guess would be they have talked with the husband and believe he could have contributed to the accident as equally as the tractor trailor, as it sounds as if the box truck driver has given his unfortnante account. They are seeking more witnesses according to another story.

Taking a defensive driving course is critical. My children had the benefit, that I didn't have when I initially got my DL years and years ago, of talking to a veteran truck driver, riding in his tractor trailor, seeing the blinds spots etc. during drivers education. They also were instructed by EMS, police, fire regarding defensive driving and what they have seen with inexperienced drivers and death in their careers. My wife and I took some courses after the fact and there are certainly alot of things we "experienced" drivers learned. It helps with insurance rates too. I believe this is critical in large metro areas such as Atlanta.

Admittedly we have seen it all - the majority on their cell phones, parents talking or attending to young children in the back, drivers eating, grooming. Many tractor trailors on the roadways too all too anxious to meet a deadline.