As of Tuesday, January 29, 2013
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
LILBURN -- A smoke alarm helped alert a pair of Lilburn residents that their house was ablaze, and firefighters were able to save their dog from the burning home.
Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the home on the 700 block of Inland Way at about 8:20 a.m. Sunday, finding "heavy black smoke" and flames coming from its roof upon arrival. Crews made an interior attack but were quickly forced back outside due to a partial collapse of the roof -- though not before successfully rescuing a dog from the burning structure, spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.
Two adult residents were home and asleep when the fire started, Rutledge said, but were able to escape unharmed after being alerted by smoke alarms.
"The occupants and their pet are safe because of the presence of a working smoke alarm," Rutledge said. Every home should be equipped with working smoke alarms on every level and in each of the bedrooms."
The home was later deemed a total loss. The blaze appeared to be accidental and may have started in the area of the front porch and spread quickly to the attic, Rutledge said.
The Red Cross was notified to provide assistance. No injuries were reported.